Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 02:44:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2051 Topics by 8479 Members
Latest Member: Darbee3
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Associate Projects
| |-+  CEL Discussion
| | |-+  Writing a new actor move
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Writing a new actor move  (Read 8592 times)
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« on: September 21, 2005, 04:55:48 am »

let me just say that I feel a little boxed in with the current pcactormove, since it seems like it has a lot of support for thirdperson movement, but firstperson movment is a lot worse, and I have to do a lot of the movement by hand, such as mouse movement.  How difficult would it be to write or extend the current one?  I do like a lot of the functionality available right now (cal3d actions, etc.), but I want to customize it for a firstperson shooter.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 07:15:11 am »

let me just say that I feel a little boxed in with the current pcactormove, since it seems like it has a lot of support for thirdperson movement, but firstperson movment is a lot worse, and I have to do a lot of the movement by hand, such as mouse movement.  How difficult would it be to write or extend the current one?  I do like a lot of the functionality available right now (cal3d actions, etc.), but I want to customize it for a firstperson shooter.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Well I gladly accept patches for enhancements. Especially a mouselook would be very nice to have. I don't think extending pcactormove is too hard as it is really a relatively simple class.

Greetings,
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 01:15:11 pm »

Could I ask you, then, if pcactormove overrides certain camera motions?  Transforming the camera does nothing to the movement of the actor, except moving the pitch.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 01:29:07 pm »

Could I ask you, then, if pcactormove overrides certain camera motions?  Transforming the camera does nothing to the movement of the actor, except moving the pitch.

That's not pcactormove that is doing that. Pcactormove doesn't actually do anything with the camera currently (except for camera mode setting). It is the camera class itself that handles this.

Greetings,
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 01:33:23 pm »

Yes, I realized the mistake before I could fix it Smiley

That is something I am also concerned about.  Do you know, perhaps, why yaw movements and transformations of the actual iCamera in a pcdefaultcamera don't affect the camera view?  I will look into some of these things, see if there is anything I could mess with.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 01:36:34 pm »

Yes, I realized the mistake before I could fix it Smiley

That is something I am also concerned about.  Do you know, perhaps, why yaw movements and transformations of the actual iCamera in a pcdefaultcamera don't affect the camera view?  I will look into some of these things, see if there is anything I could mess with.

You shouldn't touch the iCamera indeed. The camera property class assumes full control. It is perfectly possible to do mouselook by using the api in the camera property class instead. I believe there are some posts about this topic on this forum somewhere.

Greetings,
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 08:56:23 pm »

Yes, and one of them was mine.  The small detail that I couldn't figure out and that no one really told me why is that you can only move the camera property class's pitch, not the yaw, which makes full camera mouse look difficult to impossible.  Instead I mixed it with actormove rotations and a camera move pitch, but that is only a hack and the movement is still not perfect.

Is this a problem you are aware of or is it desired functionality?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 09:02:40 pm »

Yes, and one of them was mine.  The small detail that I couldn't figure out and that no one really told me why is that you can only move the camera property class's pitch, not the yaw, which makes full camera mouse look difficult to impossible.  Instead I mixed it with actormove rotations and a camera move pitch, but that is only a hack and the movement is still not perfect.

Is this a problem you are aware of or is it desired functionality?

This might depend on the current mode you're using. Yaw probably only works in some of the modes. Which camera mode are you using?

Greetings,
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 09:03:44 pm »

BTW. I'd like to add that you should perhaps wait a bit with this. Someone is busy making a totally new camera class (more or less compatible) in CEL. It should be working relatively soon. It will handle mouse look natively.

Greetings,
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 09:53:18 pm »

Really?  Great.  Well, about the mode, I was using firstperson mode, but it works in a few other ones.  And you know what, when I think about it, that makes perfect sense why it doesn't work it firstperson mode. It is only moving the camera, and not the actor.  That's why the pitch moves...hmm...I guess I was expecting that functionality to be built into the actor class.  But, like you said, it seems such functionality is coming soon, so I will wait Smiley

When you say more or less compatible, is this a CS creation or CEL?

Thanks.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 10:22:43 pm »

Really?  Great.  Well, about the mode, I was using firstperson mode, but it works in a few other ones.  And you know what, when I think about it, that makes perfect sense why it doesn't work it firstperson mode. It is only moving the camera, and not the actor.  That's why the pitch moves...hmm...I guess I was expecting that functionality to be built into the actor class.  But, like you said, it seems such functionality is coming soon, so I will wait Smiley

When you say more or less compatible, is this a CS creation or CEL?

Thanks.

It is a replacement of the current CEL camera class.

Greetings,
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 02:18:13 am »

Also, is there currently a feature/limitation where you can't see any bit of your mesh when in firstperson camera mode?  An example of this is seeing the hands hold a weapon, or looking down at the feet/knees.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 05:54:14 am »

Also, is there currently a feature/limitation where you can't see any bit of your mesh when in firstperson camera mode?  An example of this is seeing the hands hold a weapon, or looking down at the feet/knees.

At this moment the camera automatically makes the mesh invisible if it switches to first person mode. The reason is to avoid various limbs floating in front of the camera. Handling of a weapon should be done differently I think.

Greetings,
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 01:38:36 pm »

What if you have sockets connecting weapons on the hands?  Couldn't it be a nice way to show an extension of the character holding a weapon, rather than just the weapon itself or fake hands?  Are submeshes hidden too?  Is there anyway to turn this off to see the effect?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 04:12:22 pm »

What if you have sockets connecting weapons on the hands?  Couldn't it be a nice way to show an extension of the character holding a weapon, rather than just the weapon itself or fake hands?  Are submeshes hidden too?  Is there anyway to turn this off to see the effect?

You can only turn this off by modifying the code right now. Look for CS_ENTITY_INVISIBLE.

greetings,
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: