Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 12:55:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9032 Posts in 2046 Topics by 9288 Members
Latest Member: Lorrainewhite
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  I've got a problem here...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I've got a problem here...  (Read 2250 times)
Eye776

Email
« on: September 25, 2005, 10:38:55 pm »

I've started work on a RPG with a team and Crystal Space got the most votes. So this is why I'm here.

Since the team wants Crystal Space...
1)Ok, now I've used Irrlict and Ogre3D up to this point, so could you please give me some starting points, and some references to tutorials?
2)Can I remove some of CS's API (network)- because our game is single-player- whitout crashing the engine?
3)Does CS have terrain rendering (LOD) available? Can there be more terrain meshes (3) at the same time?
Because we have to render a huge world and I thought that we should do it in sectors.

Thanks in advance

BTW, Personally I think CrystalSpace is HUGE and in 29mb, you could at least provide some precompiled dll's Smiley or even a SDK Smiley
sunshine
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 01:05:53 am »

First, I would recommend using the CVS version of Crystal Space rather than the 0.98 release, which is quite old by this time. There are many, many improvements and bug fixes in the CVS version. You can find daily snapshots at http://www.crystalspace3d.org/cvs-snapshots/ or just access CVS directly.

1)Ok, now I've used Irrlict and Ogre3D up to this point, so could you please give me some starting points, and some references to tutorials?

The simple tutorials in the CS manual (presently section 4.3) will be a good starting place. Once you've read that, the rest of chapter 4 can also be quite useful.

http://www.crystalspace3d.org/docs/online/manual/

Another good place for tutorials is the community site:

http://community.crystalspace3d.org/

2)Can I remove some of CS's API (network)- because our game is single-player- whitout crashing the engine?

Crystal Space features a highly modular plugin system. You load only the plugins which you need for your game and are free to ignore the rest. Almost all features of Crystal Space are provided by plugin modules, so you pick and choose exactly what you want to use. (Also note that networking support has been removed from the CVS version of CS. You can find some higher level networking support instead in the CEL project.)

3)Does CS have terrain rendering (LOD) available? Can there be more terrain meshes (3) at the same time?

Yes it does feature such a terrain plugin. Use the CVS version of CS for best results.

BTW, Personally I think CrystalSpace is HUGE and in 29mb, you could at least provide some precompiled dll's  or even a SDK

Unfortunately, this is rather difficult because of the plethora of platforms and compilers which CS supports. Unlike projects with plain C interfaces, CS is written in C++, and there is no agreement or compatibility about object layout and mangled names between compilers and compiler versions. For this reason, we would have to offer a very large number of pre-compiled SDK's in order to support all of the platforms and compilers and compiler versions with which CS can be used.
Eye776

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 10:32:28 am »

Thanks a lot for the info.
Unfortunately I cannot compile the engine myself (I only have a Duron 1300mhz),
so I'll just have to pass on the info to the other programmers in the game team.

Too bad. I was hoping to use the engine for my own projects (not only in the team) as well Sad

But it doesn't really matter Smiley This is a good engine anyway.
sunshine
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 11:37:57 am »

I use a 288MHz P1 myself, so I'm not quite sure what you mean about not being able to compile the project.

Anyhow, if you are using the same compiler (and version) as someone else in the team, they can compile it and pass the binaries along to you.
Eye776

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 02:59:15 pm »

Problem solved. Apparently my MSVC 6 installation was corrupted...
deckerego

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 05:04:29 am »

Okay... Eric needs a new computer... BADLY.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: