Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 04:36:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8262 Members
Latest Member: Emilymoore
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Miscellaneous
| |-+  Article/Tutorial Discussion
| | |-+  Ideas for a newbie-tutorial
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ideas for a newbie-tutorial  (Read 7958 times)
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« on: September 26, 2005, 05:36:42 am »

I am planning on writing a very general CS newbie tutorial that clears up all the areas I had trouble with when trying to learn CS.  The tutorial is aimed at flattening the very, very steep learning curve CS has. Such things included would be how to get the most out of the documentation as well as fixes to some common problems.  Are there any commonly asked questions from beginning CS users that you guys think I should cover?
ghgh

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 06:44:19 pm »

you should do a step by step third person game with an animated character in walktest.
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 09:04:16 pm »

Well, I guess I could see how that tutorial would be somewhat helpful, however I don't think it would be a good way to go about doing anything.  First of all, I would use CEL, which walktest does not use.  This would make it a little easier to do some things, though we might have to do some of them by hand.  Secondly, I don't believe walktest was created to be used as a template for other works.  Thus, it would be much more frustrating to adapt to your own project.  And I plan on releasing a group of tutorials aimed at small to large problems with CS and CEL, rather than one big project.   
deckerego

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 04:04:33 am »

I think your idea of using CEL is a good one - probably breaking it apart into loading an empty room, camera placement, placing a sprite inside would work well for beginners. Also implementing entity placement, library loading, property management, physics and sound. A good tutorial on the behaviour system that integrates all these steps would be interesting, also.

Another interesting tutorial would be walking through how to build a complete game in XML-only, as the current CEL implementation allows. It would be nice to demo that you don't even have to do coding with the current CEL level system.
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 01:20:24 am »

Unfortunately as of now I have no experience using XML for the behavior layer, but I will look into it.  I am planning on starting some of these tutorials soon.  I would like some of them to be on the community site if possible, but I am not sure if all the small tutorials are sizable enough.
MicWit

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 04:32:43 am »

Hey, I am really looking foward to a newbie tutorial. I do some 3d animation (blender), and have recently thought that it would be great to try making a game (with the help of some friends). So far I have only used the internal game engine in blender to make stupid little games (like a ball that moves around the screen), but nothing with programming, and you dont need to compile it, just save as runtime and it compiles for you.

The kind of games I want to do, I am going to have to know how dependencies, loading source etc works. Would it be possible in these tutorials to cover the setting up of the compiler etc, with every little step taken (ie what files to copy where, how to load the workspace in the compiler etc) from downloading (and what needs to be downloaded) to compiling a basic "game", even if it is just a camera in an environment. This tutorial would mainly be for people new to gaming/programming, not new to cs. If it was not too much to ask, would it be possible to use opensource software (ie. dev-C++, codeblocks or something), wether in a windows or linux environment?

Would any of this be possible, or even available? I did find one or 2 tutorials that were ment to cover this, but they seem to presume that you already know basic game design.

Thanks,
Michael
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: