Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 04:12:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8990 Posts in 2037 Topics by 7600 Members
Latest Member: Chandrabeck
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  C/C++ And Crystal Space
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: C/C++ And Crystal Space  (Read 1760 times)
Xenite

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2005, 09:18:29 pm »

I have been using Reality Factory for awhile now, and was interested in switching to Crystal Space, And I was curious as to how much experience one needs with C++ to develop a game using CS. I havnt worked with C for about 5 years, Infact last time I did was hacking a little on the old Genesis3D Gtest source code.

I've spent most of my time on map design, model and texture creation... And while I have basic knowledge of C++ I've never really enjoyed that aspect of game design. I was getting ready to put down $400 on another game engine wich comes with a package of tools and editors to cut down to minimum code work but Crystal Space looks just as good and seems to have a nice community, Ohh and the free thing dosnt hurt. wink

So I guess my question is can one develop a game with Crystal Space with only basic C knowledge, And minimum code work or is CS more friendly to those with a better knowledge and desire to play with the source code?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 09:29:18 pm »

I have been using Reality Factory for awhile now, and was interested in switching to Crystal Space, And I was curious as to how much experience one needs with C++ to develop a game using CS. I havnt worked with C for about 5 years, Infact last time I did was hacking a little on the old Genesis3D Gtest source code.

I've spent most of my time on map design, model and texture creation... And while I have basic knowledge of C++ I've never really enjoyed that aspect of game design. I was getting ready to put down $400 on another game engine wich comes with a package of tools and editors to cut down to minimum code work but Crystal Space looks just as good and seems to have a nice community, Ohh and the free thing dosnt hurt. wink

So I guess my question is can one develop a game with Crystal Space with only basic C knowledge, And minimum code work or is CS more friendly to those with a better knowledge and desire to play with the source code?

While you don't need to work on the CS code (most people don't touch it and simply use the CS API) it is recommended that you at least have a basic knowledge about C++. Basically you need to know what classes are and a few things like that.

Greetings,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: