Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 02:07:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8990 Posts in 2037 Topics by 7602 Members
Latest Member: Khateyni
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Game Content Creation
| | |-+  Scale between blender scenes and cs scenes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Scale between blender scenes and cs scenes  (Read 5171 times)
azuron

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2005, 07:32:54 am »

I use blend2crystal and I'm curious about this:

How long is a 1 unit length of blender in a cs scene? 1:1?

Thanks.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 09:28:11 am »

I use blend2crystal and I'm curious about this:

How long is a 1 unit length of blender in a cs scene? 1:1?

Thanks.

yes

Greetings,
stephb7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 07:21:24 pm »

I read this somewhere in the documentation, FAQ, or message board:

1 unit in CS is equivalent to 1 meter. A good guideline for character size at this point might be width: 0.6, depth: 0.3, height: 1.75.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 07:58:52 pm »

I read this somewhere in the documentation, FAQ, or message board:

1 unit in CS is equivalent to 1 meter. A good guideline for character size at this point might be width: 0.6, depth: 0.3, height: 1.75.

CS has no such convention. 1 unit can be 1 meter, 1 centimeter or 1 mile. CS doesn't care at all. However most people tend to use the '1 unit is 1 meter' rule. But this is not enforced in CS in any way at all.

Greetings,
stephb7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 02:14:40 pm »

Found my reference, in the Wiki under the heading "Standard unit sizes":  http://www.crystalspace3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Creating%20Art%20for%20Crystal%20Space

I'm rendering an interior and an external (space) environment.  How can I specify the different scales?  I have not seen an option within Blender/Blender2CS.  Thus I assume that when I would load my indoor scene I would scale to reflect indoor coordinates (1 unit = 1 meter) and similarly when loading the outdoor scene I would set a different scale (1 unit = 1 kilometer).  Is there an example I could consult?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 06:56:02 pm »

Found my reference, in the Wiki under the heading "Standard unit sizes":  http://www.crystalspace3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Creating%20Art%20for%20Crystal%20Space

I'm rendering an interior and an external (space) environment.  How can I specify the different scales?  I have not seen an option within Blender/Blender2CS.  Thus I assume that when I would load my indoor scene I would scale to reflect indoor coordinates (1 unit = 1 meter) and similarly when loading the outdoor scene I would set a different scale (1 unit = 1 kilometer).  Is there an example I could consult?

That will be hard to do. It is best to use one scale only. Why would you want to have a different scale for indoor and outdoor? I don't think that is possible.

Greetings,
stephb7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 10:14:33 pm »

My initial idea was to have a scale for the indoors of a space station, the indoors of a space ship, then another scale for while in space.  I'm still at the way-too-early stage though, unsure of how to do what I want to do.

My plan is to have a hangar act as the connector between the inside of the station and the outside.  From the station you enter the hanger (or is it spelled hangar), board your ship, open a door to enter an airlock, close the internal door, open the space doors, and voila you are in space.  This airlock is my interpretation of a buffer zone between the space station and space itself, which may be compatible with the zone manager.  Or I may simply have a zone aka "Loading please wait".  Maybe I can keep the same scale for indoor and outdoors, or maybe I'll have to Wink 
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 05:44:52 am »

My initial idea was to have a scale for the indoors of a space station, the indoors of a space ship, then another scale for while in space.  I'm still at the way-too-early stage though, unsure of how to do what I want to do.

But why? What advantage would that give you?

Greetings,
stephb7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 01:35:09 pm »

Ships will be modeled with meters as the unit of measurement.  This allows me to dock small ships within a station or within a carrier ship and maintain the proportions easily.  Then I want ships to mine asteroids, thus I'll also use meters for those.

I wanted to have some ships be able to fly within the atmosphere of a planet, with special "jet" engines, while other ships with "space" engines could not.  For this I needed a transition between space and atmosphere.  To me this implied modeling planets to scale.  But the difference between the two is huge.  A ship could have a vertical diameter of 100 meters (a very high ship) while a planet, such as Earth, has a diameter of 12,756.28 km, or 12,756,280 meters.  And Earth isn't the biggest planet out there.  I'm not an artist/modeler, but this feels like a problem.

Maybe I'll simply fudge features rather than trying to respect the real distances and measurements; after all it's a game and not a simulation.  The CSdemo.exe space demo shows a ship approaching a planet.  That might be all I need in terms of planet modeling; the real scale of the planet is not maintained but the effect works, which is what really matters.

Only those ships with jet engines would be allowed to "activate" the planet, which would zone them into a different environment; a terrain landscape.  Eventually ships would reach a city and land in a space port or outside of the city.  The transition between space and terrain could simply be visual trickery; lots of clouds, ship's hull heating up, flames trailing behind, black of space phasing into blue of sky.  Next item I need to study is terrain generation/modeling.

In short, yup, I don't need two different scales.
genjix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 10:33:11 am »

why not have two different scenes, and a bit of mist inbetween?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: