Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:33:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9009 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8371 Members
Latest Member: Masko4
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Random level generation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Random level generation  (Read 2111 times)
Captain Gordon

Email
« on: October 12, 2005, 12:29:47 pm »

I was thinking about using this awesome looking piece of code for my project (its an Xcom like game, basically) but I do have a specific question that didnt seem to be addressed in a manual - is it possible to create a scheme for a level that will later be populated by random objects? As far as I understood the levels are static after they are created - you cant dynamically alter them after the game has started. If it can be done at present is it possible for me and my team to write a plugin that supports that, as in does Crystal Space have the technological capacity to allow random level generation? If so, how long will that take (approximately, obviously Smiley )?
sunshine
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 12:39:58 pm »

It can be done. CS is not nearly that static. As a couple examples, the 'walktest' demo has an '--infiinite' command-line option which causes it to create an endless, random, 3D maze as you navigate through it. Also, the game Tunnel Fighter (http://tunnel.sourceforge.net/) involves a dynamically-generated tunnel through which you fly your ship.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 01:09:58 pm by sunshine » Logged
Captain Gordon

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 12:51:26 pm »

Awesome! Thats exactly the feature I was looking for. My idea is  different to the project you mentioned, but I recon I can implement it Thanks!.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: