Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 06:20:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9009 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8373 Members
Latest Member: Msfilercarle03
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Game Content Creation
| | |-+  UV mapping problem from Blender
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: UV mapping problem from Blender  (Read 5510 times)
jerwebb

View Profile Email
« on: October 17, 2005, 09:51:13 pm »

Just thought I'd ask, since I assume I'm missing something basic here.  My UV mapping all looks good in blender (2.35), quick render shows everything to be in order, along with the UV window.  When I import my meshes into the meshviewer, though, it isn't mapped correctly any longer, with eyes between his legs and such :<.

I should add that use of the /this tag in my cal3d file won't allow my mesh to be opened at all, so my cal3d file has the line written like this '<mesh file="stickmanStickman.cmf" name="body" material="CUBE6_AUV2.PNG" />', rather than as the tutorial reccomends.  I don't understand why the use of /this as shown in the tutorial doesn't work, but I get an error stating that it is unable to open the texture.  I've tried exporting with and without the RF tag on the blender exporter, which seems to make no difference. 

I'd really appreciate a pointer - I've searched all the Crystal resources I can find and I'm coming up dry.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy
deckerego

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 09:57:55 pm »

What cal3d exporter did you use? The one that's pre-packaged with 2.35?
jerwebb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 10:00:31 pm »

No, I got the pair from the cal3d site.  Only the second one exports the correct files - its called CAL3d Exporter 2 v1.0. 
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 12:00:29 am »

When you UV mapped, did everything show up right away when you rendered in blender, or did you have to set the proper material mapping to 'UV' for the texture to show in the render?  If you didn't have to, then something might be wrong.

Other than that, it could be the exporter, but you seem to have the right version.
deckerego

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 04:32:59 am »

Another thing - did you check "Export for Soya" when exporting to cal3d? You could have your coordinates switched around...
jerwebb

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 04:37:19 pm »

Thanks so much for the replies.  I do have Soya checked, so that's not it.  I have tried redownloading the exporter from different sources, and I can see no differences in how it exports, so, I think its something I'm doing wrong.

I think muffin may be on to something.  Is there a UV button, or something I need to do to make sure its mapped correctly?  Perhaps in the material or texture settings?  I'll try pushing some buttons and see what happens... Smiley  I don't think the tutorial mentioned anything like that, I'll look again, though.  I merely loaded my texture in the uv map window, and it looked good in my blender renders.  I don't believe I altered any material or texture settings directly.

My exported map files all look good, its just cal3d where I'm having this trouble.

I've had a similar problem with another engine I tried out, but I merely needed to hit a couple buttons in the material preferences to make it fly right, so I suspect something similar here.  I'm relatively familiar with blender, and uv mapping for that matter, it just seems I'm missing something simple.

Am I the first to have this problem?
deckerego

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 10:44:50 pm »

One more thing... although this probably has nothing to do with it... are all your normals outward-facing?
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 10:58:41 pm »

Well, what I actually meant by saying that was that you may have been mapping incorrectly.  I say this because often in blender with UV mapping, if you do it correctly, you will have to specify a new material to get the UV mapping from the mapping you did in order for it to show in an actual blender render, it will not just show up right away.  Let me clarify this:  It will show up great in games and the blender view area with textured mode set, but an actual F12 (I believe this is the key Smiley ) render won't show the texture mapped on there unless you create a new material and texture with the map input set to UV.  Because you say that it does show up in a render and that you didn't have to change anything, I wonder if you are doing something wrong,  This could also be something I do differently, but I have done many tutorials and I believe I do them correctly.

You say the levels texture fine, are you doing these the same way?
juansolo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 01:11:41 am »

excuse me if I not answer your question, but i dont speak english very well.  I must to turn  vertically my cal3d textures,i dont know why,
 i do it with gimp,   it  works for me
bye
jerwebb

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 04:04:44 pm »

Normals are right, so that's not it Sad.

Yeah, I do levels exactly the same way.  Well, pretty much - they aren't animated.  I have tried so many different ways of loading my texture and uv mapping now, my head hurts. 

I'm going to try the turning them, idea, that sounds suspiciously like what I'm seeing *crosses fingers*. 

Well, flipping the texture does not work...  Is it possible I don't have something installed correctly, perhaps?  I work on 2 different computers, both windows machines, and I have the same result on both... grrr

It seems that my uv mapping is not exporting at all, and the texture is just slapped on there.  I've tried several versions of blender with the same results.  I currently have 2.35 on one machine, and 2.37 on the other...  I've tried different versions of python...  I could just use seperate meshes for different colors at this point(just learning the engine), but when I get serious into developing my game, I'm going to need this.

I'd be happy to provide my .blend file, if anyone were willing to take a go at it.  Thanks for all the suggestions - feel free to throw anything else out there you can think of.

muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 03:43:55 am »

I would like to see it.  Maybe I can test the cal3d textures and what not.  If you want to email it to me, my email is max_lynch**AT**sbcglobal.net
jerwebb

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 04:08:21 pm »

I sent you a copy muffin.  Thanks for taking the time to look at it for me.
zaz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 05:26:37 am »

I had to flip all my TGAs vertically, with the gimp, for stuff to work with the cal3d viewer.  It worked everywhere but there.

Some software expects the initial pixel in the TGA file to be the upper left and some the lower left.  The real problem is they aren't reading all the information from the TGA file.

The cal3d viewer is one such app that ignores this information and since it only supports a few or only TGA for image file formats, you're basically stuck having two versions of the texture image if you're going to use it.
jerwebb

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 04:39:37 pm »

Sorry to take so long getting back to this, but, the problem is solved.  I didn't immediately try the suggestion from zaz, as I use .png, typically(still need to figure out .dds...), but, that is indeed the issue.  I'd tried rotating, as reccomended earlier, but flipping was the needed alteration.  Thanks so much for all the help!

This leads me to a question - should this be mentioned on the art creation page and/or the tutorial?  It seems rather common, and quite significant to me.  Or, is this something that is being fixed, or is fixed already?  This could easily be a deal breaking problem as to use of this engine...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: