Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 05:33:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8247 Members
Latest Member: Sarahjean
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  MMORPG
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: MMORPG  (Read 22236 times)
STfrea

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2005, 11:05:22 pm »

Is it posible for someone just joining the Crystal Engine to build a MMORPG, if not what would be the best to build first?
griminventions

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 01:20:20 am »

Start smaller if you're just beginning.  Take a look at PlaneShift, meanwhile.
STfrea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 01:23:36 am »

Ok, I know when I'v been told what to do.  What do you think would be an acceptable leaning project but not to easy?(still easy to understand tutorial or something?)
(I don't even know wheather to download the version comipled or the code or which link to use, I need help from the beggining, I'm not stupid but am unfirmiliar with c++ (mostly) and Crystal... please tell me what guide to go to that would get me started.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 01:37:48 am by STfrea » Logged
griminventions

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 01:59:01 am »

The docs are a good starting point, but you will need intimate knowledge of build tools.  I think there might be some pre-built versions that are really old, but it might be your only choice to start with.  I'd love to see the engine become a lot more friendly to new users (I am one myself).

A good beginner project would be to first just get the whole engine working.  Smiley  It's not trivial.  Beyond that, some version of a simple game (yes, not as sexy, but..) like pacman or breakout would be a good way to begin.  If you don't know much about programming it will be more difficult, but if you know that and expect an uphill battle, you're in a good position to succeed.

Good luck!
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 02:29:04 am »

Are you running a UNIX variant?  If so, and even if not, I am going to be whipping up some small starting tutorials for crystal space on my new domain: http://www.antialiased.us/

So far nothing is there and the site isn't configured, but one of the first things I plan to write is a howto with CVS and crystalspace, which seems to be the best solution until 1.0 is reached.  Although there is a pseudo release on crystalspace3d.org you might want to check ouut.
STfrea

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 02:29:07 am »

Is it ture that "In order to successfully compile the Crystal Space 3D Software Development Kit (SDK), you will need a copy of Microsoft Developer Studio 6 or the stand alone version of Microsoft Visual C++ 6, with additionally Service Pack (SP) 5" Can you have like c++ bloodshed? (free c++ compiler?) (thanks I'm going over the docs manual)
griminventions

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 03:31:50 am »

Is it ture that "In order to successfully compile the Crystal Space 3D..."
Yes, you have to compile the engine yourself before you can use it or run the demos.  That's why I said you'd need (or need to gain) intimate knowledge of the build tools and your operating system.
deckerego

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 03:40:01 am »

You don't need Visual Studio per se - you can use other open-source build tools out there. gcc 3.x should work fine.

If you're trying to get started, probably the best thing is to walk through the Simple Tutorial application just to get a basic room up and running (it's in the docs at http://www.crystalspace3d.org. After that the best thing to do is walk through some of the community tutorials at http://community.crystalspace3d.org.

The trickiest thing is getting your build/development environment set up - if you can get as far as building your own standalone app with a single room you can view, your well on your way. The next big step is content creation, which the community site can greatly assist with.
STfrea

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 12:02:42 pm »

Ok, I'v searched for Visual C++ but I cant find a spot to download it (or even buy) where can I get it.  And I realy need a free program will bloodshed c++editor work if not what free prgram will?  It said I needed to add a packet in, what is that? or rather, how do I add this pack in to the editor so it compiles corectly.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 12:05:58 pm »

Ok, I'v searched for Visual C++ but I cant find a spot to download it (or even buy) where can I get it.  And I realy need a free program will bloodshed c++editor work if not what free prgram will?  It said I needed to add a packet in, what is that? or rather, how do I add this pack in to the editor so it compiles corectly.

Bloodshed C++ can be used for your own projects (if you mean DevCPP that is) but NOT for compiling CS. To compile CS you need to use the free mingw compiler at www.mingw.org. You then have to modify Bloodshed so that it actually uses that compiler instead of the one that it normally comes with. There is a section in the manual that explains how to do this.

Greetings,
griminventions

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 05:57:10 pm »

You can download the free "toolkit" from Microsoft. You won't have the IDE, but you don't really need it in this case.

HTH.
STfrea

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 06:37:12 pm »

So... Whats diff between free and buy, btw is this free tool above enough? (in the post above?) I just want something I can use to compile this into a engine.  I know I can use alot of stuff, but the tutoral uses Visual, so I would need to ask how if I didn't use visual..?  So what should I be useing?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 06:39:16 pm by STfrea » Logged
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 07:53:54 pm »

So... Whats diff between free and buy, btw is this free tool above enough? (in the post above?) I just want something I can use to compile this into a engine.  I know I can use alot of stuff, but the tutoral uses Visual, so I would need to ask how if I didn't use visual..?  So what should I be useing?

Check my answer. Use mingw.

Greetings,
griminventions

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 08:18:11 pm »

I had never realized the benefit of using MinGW until now. It will most likely be much easier than MSVC since it can use configure tools if you also use MSYS. I'm going to use this myself to build CS on my Windows machine eventually.  This will go a long way to unify my dev environments on Mac and Windows.  (Thanks for the pointer, Jorrit!)
STfrea

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 01:59:39 pm »

I need a manual o download MinGW!  I go to there download and scroll up to current.  And threes 50 diff things, and there all tar.gz which I can't open. I download the runtime but it didn't say this was the program I decide the program must be in the runtime so I download it and it and can't open it because of .gz ... Whats up, how do I even get the programmed downloaded.  I'm not used to compiling programs other than file by file but how do you compile a whole directory?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: