Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:58:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9009 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8379 Members
Latest Member: Hamlock3
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  User Interface
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: User Interface  (Read 2887 times)
stephb7

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2005, 09:03:25 pm »

After reading the documentation on 4.20 Alternate Windowing System (AWS) and 4.21 CEGUI Introduction I'm left wondering which system I should use.  Are there major differences between the two?  I'll read up on both in more details but advice could save me some time.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 09:07:00 pm »

After reading the documentation on 4.20 Alternate Windowing System (AWS) and 4.21 CEGUI Introduction I'm left wondering which system I should use.  Are there major differences between the two?  I'll read up on both in more details but advice could save me some time.

I think it is mostly a matter of personal taste. I would look into the test apps available in CS for both systems and see what you like most.

Greetings,
mark

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 05:54:39 pm »

I think that AWS is very difficult because you cannot create your GUI with C++ code and me and 2 friends of mine didn't find out how the eventhandling works (better I don't tell how long we tried to figure that out until we gave up).
The we wrote our own window system. If cegui had been in CS before we began to create our WS we would use cegui now.
If you're comfortable with Java AWT/Swing and similar languages/toolkits, you should try cegui which seems to work this way and avoid AWS.

Gentoo Linux ~x86, kernel 2.6.11-cko9 smp, gcc 3.4.4-r1, binutils 2.16.1, glibc 2.3.5 NPTL
CS+CEL Pseudo Stable 2005.09.03
stephb7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 11:41:42 am »

CeGUI did not seem to have made it in the 0.99 stable release of 2005/09/03 but only in the development release; I can browse the CVS online and see the plugin under plugins/gui/cegui.
sunshine
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 01:35:33 pm »

You are welcome to use the CVS version of Crystal Space. You can find nightly snapshots at http://www.crystalspace3d.org/cvs-snapshots/
stephb7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 02:54:14 pm »

Aye, I did get the CVS.  There are also a couple of other plugins in that developer version.  Looks like I have some more reading to do...
stephb7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 07:27:42 pm »

I'm having difficulties using CEGUI and would appreciate some guidance.

I've downloaded CrystalSpace, CEL, and CeGUI from the CVS.  I've also downloaded and installed the latest win32 libs.  I've compiled (MSVC 7.0) everything from wkstypical.sln in debug mode as well as plgcegui and appceguitest from wkswxtypical.sln (maybe I should have compiled everything rather than simply these two projects).

When run (clicking on the .exe file from windows explorer), the appceguitest application loads the sample interface (I can see the 3 windows in the ice scheme) but I am unable to interact with the windows; the cursor remains in the upper left corner and the application soon (4-5 seconds) crashes, with a dialog informing me that there was a call to a virtual function.

My WinXP has not been rebooted for a while and that'll be the first thing I do when back at home; I tell my customers to do this when they have weird problems but forget to do it when _I_ have weird problems.

When integrating CeGUI into my own application, which CeGUI should I use?  Should I use the "real" CeGUI files, the ones from the Crystal Space Win32 Libs, or the ones in CS/libs/csutil/win32?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: