Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 06:52:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8265 Members
Latest Member: Cindyroome
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Win32 Compiled Version?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Win32 Compiled Version?  (Read 3666 times)
xtracto

Email
« on: November 02, 2005, 02:02:55 pm »

Hello, I want to try the CrystalSpace engine. However I have only been able to download the source code. Does anyone has a compiled version of the library?

I am using MinGW compiler. I would *love* to try to compile all the library from scratch but I really dont have time for that and I just want to give it a try before deciding to use it.

Are there any "release" packages? I think it is kind of a hazzle to have to compile the library before using it, I just want to download it to start using it as I am not really interested in the inners (I leave that to you CS developer guys wink.

Thank you!

me.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 02:14:51 pm »

Hello, I want to try the CrystalSpace engine. However I have only been able to download the source code. Does anyone has a compiled version of the library?

I am using MinGW compiler. I would *love* to try to compile all the library from scratch but I really dont have time for that and I just want to give it a try before deciding to use it.

Are there any "release" packages? I think it is kind of a hazzle to have to compile the library before using it, I just want to download it to start using it as I am not really interested in the inners (I leave that to you CS developer guys wink.

Thank you!

me.

We don't have windows binaries but if you just want to try some CS stuff you can download the artist package or else a few of the other windows demos that you can find on the CS site.

If you want to use Crystal Space then you MUST be able to compile it. That's why we don't provide binaries.

Greetings,
xtracto

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 02:21:03 pm »

Thank you,

When I said I wanted to try it, it was on the programming side of it.
Now, when you say "if you want to use it you MUST be able to compile it", is it because of some technical issue? or just because of the spirit of the library?.

Is there anything that makes it impossible to download the a mingW precompiled lib???.a, dlls and include files and compile an application with that?

Is it because you can not provide some of the used third party libraries? (in which case, it would be trivial to dynamic link to them and then ask to download the libraries from the third party providers).

I am just curious. I saw the CrystalSpace engine, and I am considering to use it, but I have seen other 3D engines which do not require compiling for its use (of course some of them commercial like torque).

Again, thank you for your comments!
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 02:29:56 pm »

Thank you,

When I said I wanted to try it, it was on the programming side of it.
Now, when you say "if you want to use it you MUST be able to compile it", is it because of some technical issue? or just because of the spirit of the library?.

Well we can't just provide windows binaries because it depends on the compiler you use. i.e. if I provide windows binaries for MSVC you can't use those for Mingw for example. So this creates a lot of hassle and maintenance issues on our side.

Greetings,
sunshine
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 02:35:47 pm »

In the long-run, we do want to provide at least a few pre-compiled packages since it will ease entry for people like yourself who want to use the SDK. Unfortunately, because the C++ ABI (application binary interface) differs from compiler to compiler and even between compiler versions, it's a very big job to create and maintain such packages for every compiler and every version which users might have. (This differs from plain C projects, in which the ABI is typically compatible between all compilers and versions on a particular platform, so it is possible to create a single pre-compiled package.)

We probably ought to create a new pseudo-stable release at some point in the near future, and then provide pre-compiled binary packages for a limited set of compilers and compiler versions, although we do not yet have any infrastructure in place for automating this task.
xtracto

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 02:47:25 pm »

We probably ought to create a new pseudo-stable release at some point in the near future, and then provide pre-compiled binary packages for a limited set of compilers and compiler versions, although we do not yet have any infrastructure in place for automating this task.

Nice, thank you.

So it means that my question and post should be now:
"Does anyone in the community has a compiled CrystalSpace library compiled with the MinGW  compiler?

Cheers
xtracto

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 02:51:15 pm »

Just a comment, I think it should be useful to create a DevPak of the current stable or pseudo stable release.

A devpak is an archive originally used by DevC++. Although Nowadays it can be used with Code::Blocks IDE and whatever. Of course again the binary compatibility would be a problem.
Dunken

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 01:30:49 am »

How do u compile it i have tried using cygwin but it wont work plz tell me how
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 06:26:51 am »

How do u compile it i have tried using cygwin but it wont work plz tell me how

Did you follow the manual? What errors did you get? What version of CS?

Greetings,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: