Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 01:49:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8249 Members
Latest Member: Melonyapperson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Project Development
| |-+  Feature Requests
| | |-+  Better Compilation Directory Structure
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Better Compilation Directory Structure  (Read 2822 times)
Arcainone

View Profile Email
« on: June 05, 2010, 08:04:17 am »

I'll admit it I am a bit OCD when it comes to the organization of my projects but it ends up paying off immensely when I explain things to other people.  I have a pet project i've been developing for a year now, a home brewed Game engine whose parts and structure I've pulled from many sources, but one thing I've most proud of is its directory structure.  I can pull it up and show it to someone and they pick it up very quickly.  I have repeatedly dropped Crystal Space and gone back over 4-5 years because I feel like its a dirty build each time I look upon the jungle of files.  The single thing that bothers me most is that for how well Crystal space seems organized at first download, once I hit that compile button the plugins, libraries, and executables just get dumped into the top level directory along with all kinds of other files (except for the obj files, they are nice and neatly sent off to their obj file directory).  It absolutely drives me insane as I have to sift through debug and release dll's and all the extra stuff that comes with them to get to the things I need.  In my own engine I have designated two very specific locations just for these so I can get clean library files and executables with out any trouble, they are simply named "test" and "Bin" for debug and release.

My overall suggestion is simple, modifying the various build files to place debug and release builds in separate and distinguishable locations along with all the other files (such as the vfs config file) you would need to copy and paste into a separate directory to deploy a game for Crystal Space... okay so maybe not completely simple but do able and will make life much easier for future development and future newbies.

Maybe It is just my preference to Visual Studio, so sue me, but it is a hassle to go through and alter each project file directory every single time I want to update my copy of the Crystal Space Engine to a new build.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: