Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 07:10:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8220 Members
Latest Member: Igymatta
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  "Outdated" Win32 builds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Outdated" Win32 builds  (Read 3836 times)
LigH

Email
« on: December 07, 2005, 06:47:37 pm »

Greetings, developers.

Is there any reason why the release of prebuild Win32 applications paused so far (last release: September 20th)?

I had to realise that there were several remarkable differences between the lightmap cache objects built by walktest 0.99r0.017 from http://crystalspace3d.org/support/win32/ and those which are built inside the MMORPG "PlaneShift" (which uses rather current CVS sources of CrystalSpace).

Would it be possible for you to release a more current built set of CS tools again, please? I do not own any C compiler, and I don't have the experience with C and the compilers and configuration tools to solve possible compilation problems even if I would set up a GNU environment.

I thank you in advance for your efforts.
dingobloo
Idle Extrordinare.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 04:43:30 am »

http://crystalspace3d.org/support/win32/

^
That's not actually the pre-compiled engine, rather a compiled version of pre-requisits in order to build the engine, and those havn't changed drastically since september.

The lightmap cache problem was infact changed just recently in light of the fact that numerical inconsistencies occur between float numbers between processors and thus the lightmap cache was considered invalid.

In future it is hoped that we could provide pre-compiled version of the engine, but this is too much of a burden (especially for intermediate versions) the best you could hope for is a new psuedo-stable release which would still require compilation.
LigH

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 02:31:26 pm »

I only wanted to relight a few maps of the game - but outside the game, using "walktest -relight". Therefore, a more current build of the tools would be all I need, because the lightmaps build by walktest from September are no longer compatible with the current game, which uses recent CVS libraries.

Without a current lightmap, I would have to start the game with relight option, which takes several hours, and during this time my character would stand around in the game world, unable to react on other players or NPCs.
dingobloo
Idle Extrordinare.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 11:26:34 am »

Where did you get your original walktest build?

The site you mentioned are not binaries of walktest they are merely dependancies needed to build walktest and other CS applications as i mentioned earlier. 
LigH

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 01:57:33 am »

Sorry for the late answer - HNY!

Where did you get your original walktest build?
The one and only source known to me was from the CS.org downloadds -- probably the "Binary Artist Package for CVS (0.99 from 23 August 2005)". But August is long ago, PlaneShift creators used at least October, if not December already.
LigH

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 02:03:30 am »

Okay - 3 replies are enough for a "guest"...

http://community.crystalspace3d.org/files/crystalspace_0.99_050823.exe

is the last distribution I could find until today. the directory "/files" does not allow listing, so I don't know if there are newer files, not listed on the official "download" page.
LigH

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 05:42:46 pm »

Jorrit wanted to ask some member here to build a new package, he told me via IRC... As far as I can see, "not yet". Sad
LigH

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 07:03:41 am »

Surely about a year ago, thebolt promised via IRC to build a new "Binary Artist Package for Win32" -- as soon as CrystalSpace goes 1.0.

Now, CrystalSpace is already approaching 1.1; still no BAP yet.

Binary SDK packages are not yet prepared. Stay tuned. We will upload them here as soon as they are ready.

What a community support. Wow.

Do not expect all game art developers to be automatically software developers too. Especially for Windows users (in contrast to Linux users), it is not at all usual to have a C++ compiler installed, and to have experience in using one.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: