Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 09:59:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8246 Members
Latest Member: Leahstoker
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Updating an old project to new 3d environments
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Updating an old project to new 3d environments  (Read 2998 times)
Coolbob99

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2005, 05:49:41 am »

Hi,

I have been working on a project for a while now, pretty much comprises of several elements.

A) Massive Galaxy of star systems
B) Each Star system has a random number of planets with a random configuration, ie 3 planets one with 2 moons etc.
C) The planets rotate at a set speed and when you are in that part of space you can only see xx distance and the planets far sides is unknown.
D) When you are near a planet you can send a small craft to that planet which in term is another map that allows for multiple
E) Inside each craft that travels space you have multiple rooms.

So pretty much you have an alien spacecraft ie ( Independance Day ID4 ) Is it possible to have a map in a map that can view an external map?

Kindof like looking out a window into a bigger world.

Looking at Crystal i see that it might be able to accomodate but i might have some issues.

What do you all think? Should i try or do you know something out there that would support this level of detail?
acraig

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 06:45:36 pm »

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do this in Crystal Space.  With a lot of empty 'space' it should be very fast as well.  The only thing I can see is that you might want to have a nice Level of Detail on the planets so when you are in space they are just 'balls' but when you get into the atmosphere you can actually see planetary details.  I'm sure whatever concerns you have the CS team can help.
orogor

176043098 orogor@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 11:40:55 pm »

We already discussed that with  somone, some month ago, one thing which is possible at this moment would be to use either some kind of docking station, or make the ship go throught nimbles before landing.
It s notpossible to have a smooth transition from space level to a city/human level  if you have 10000 planet completely modelised, maybe that s possible If it s 100% dynamicaly genrated content, but it s not even sure and anyway would require l33t coding skills.
It s not even a problem of number of poly displayed at time on screen, but a problem of amount of memory needed to store all the mesh datas, even if you don t  display allof themon the screen, that's the "huge world problem" it require dynamic loading/unloading of data wich is currently not possible.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: