Currently i'm making HUGE changes in genmesh skeletal animation system. The current one in CS has a lot of limitations. For example: the skeleton is defined inside the mesh and it can't be shared between several meshes. The new skeletal system is almost done and it has a lot of features:
- hardware skinning via Cg vertex program (transforms vertices, normals, tangents and bitangents for correct normal mapping).
- skeleton is defined outside of the mesh and several meshes can be attached to it.
- every mesh can use up to 41 bones from skeleton (it is limited by the Cg shader input variables length) - for example if your mesh uses more than 41 skeleton bones you can detach head or hands in a different mesh that uses the same skeleton.
- ragdoll will be part of the skeleton system too
- there are sockets on the skeleton where you can attach user objects
- New stencil shadow system for animated meshes is on the way too.
There is an exporter for the old skeleton system (CS/scripts/max/gmeshskelanim/export_genmesh_skelanim.mcr), but it's a bit outdated and unusable at the moment. Soon i'll add new 3ds max exporter.
Long time ago i wrote an exporter for Maya that exports Sprite3D frame based animation (CS/scripts/maya/exportsprite.mel), but i don't have time to create Maya exporter for the new skeleton system. You can feel free to write one