Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:16:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8990 Posts in 2037 Topics by 7626 Members
Latest Member: Danielmarini
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  dot NET, c#, ???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: dot NET, c#, ???  (Read 1732 times)
the_bob

Email
« on: January 05, 2006, 04:29:52 am »

I'm relatively new to game development, and starting to look at some 3d stuff, now.  I have primarily been using c# for my development lately, and I'm just curious if there has been any work done to port Crystal Space to c# or to make a c# wrapper for Crystal Space.  It looks like you have some good things going here, but I'm too lazy to get back into c++ in any depth at this point.

Just for my own curiosity, if there's not been any work started on porting to c# or making a wrapper yet, are there any plans to do that in the future?
dingobloo
Idle Extrordinare.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 04:44:58 am »

Here's a quote from our resident build expert and language handyman eric sunshine.

For C# integration, the best bet would be to extend CS's already-mature Swig-based scripting integration. Swig is a tool which allows clients to access a C or C++ SDK from other languages. C# is one of the languages supported by Swig. The Swig support in CS is generalized so that the bulk of the API is exposed to other languages through a generic mechanism (CS/include/ivaria/cspace.i), and to add a new language you only need to provide some relatively thin language-specific customization atop cspace.i. For instance, for Python, there are additional Swig input files CS/include/ivaria/pythpre.i, pythpost.i, pyeventh.i, and pythvarg.i. If you are interested in implementing the C# goop atop the existing generic Swig goop, I'm sure that other people would appreciate having it integrated into the project.
the_bob

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 01:49:04 pm »

Thanks.  I've looked at swig a little bit.  It looks like that is the method people are using to try and wrap Ogre3d for c#.  It's all a bit more involved than I typically prefer to get, but I think it is an interesting "in my spare time" sort of thing I'd like to look at more. 

If anyone has begun work on this, please, post!  In the (somewhat limited) research I've been doing, I can see there are a large number of developers looking to do "hobby" type projects in 3d.  If I can pinch a little more time from my current schedule of work, family, hobby game dev, I'd be willing to try to help.

For anyone else interested in a C# engine, the Irrlicht engine has a pretty good percentage of it's interfaces exposed to the .NET world, and I know there are some people working on a pure .NET version of that engine. 

Like I said, I'm relatively new to game dev, and very green when it comes to 3d game dev.  I hope it's not taken as an insult to post about another open-source engine here, but thought it might be of interest to some people.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: