Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 11:42:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8227 Members
Latest Member: Angelinecepeda
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Game Content Creation
| | |-+  Character creation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Character creation  (Read 2780 times)
maharaja

t.javed@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« on: January 28, 2006, 02:50:39 pm »

Hi,

Regrading character creation and customisation, the best I've ever seen so far is the one used by Project Entropia.
See www.projectentropia.com

Does anyone have any idea how they did it and whether something like this could be done for a CS based game ?

Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Regards,
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 03:11:58 pm »

Hi,

Regrading character creation and customisation, the best I've ever seen so far is the one used by Project Entropia.
See www.projectentropia.com

Does anyone have any idea how they did it and whether something like this could be done for a CS based game ?

Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Regards,

I never looked at that project but I don't see why that couldn't be done with CS. Character creation is not a CS issue actually. It is the game that should handle that.

Greetings,
maharaja

t.javed@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 04:29:32 pm »

True, it's not a CS issue, that is why I posted this in the "Game Content Creation" forum Tongue
Ofcourse this will have to be implemented in the game, I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas "how" something like this could be implemented..

Regards,
maharaja

t.javed@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 04:45:31 pm »

Allow me to elaborate further:

When we create human models for our games, we use Blender etc. to create the model, then put a skin/texture on it, right.
So inside the game, the best customisation we can possibly provide is for the player to perhaps choose from among various skins for the character, the basic mesh would remain the same size and form.

What these Entropia guys have achieved is remarkable in the sense that you start with a basic model, then with one slider you can change the size of your head, with another slider, the size of your torso, with yet other sliders the size of your legs, arms and so on. With another group of sliders you can change your facial contours. Then there are sliders for prcatically infinite colors of hair, eyes, skin etc.

The end result is that every single character in the game is guranteed to be totally unique.
Just like humans in real-life Smiley

How exectly are they doing it ? It seems as if they have an entire Poser running behind this GUI and models are being created on the fly.
Or else some clever trick is being used.

Regards,
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 04:49:06 pm by maharaja » Logged
maharaja

t.javed@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 07:48:03 pm »

So, therefore, if anyone could make me something like this for my project, or help me do it, I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount of money.

If anyone is interested, please contact me ASAP.
Just keep in mind that I'll be paying from my pocket , and I'm not exactly a millionaire Smiley

Regards,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: