Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 04:28:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9020 Posts in 2053 Topics by 8582 Members
Latest Member: Carlphillips
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Problem with building the simple1 application
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Problem with building the simple1 application  (Read 3372 times)
ballrog

View Profile Email
« on: January 29, 2006, 07:16:32 pm »

Hi
Im new to Crystalspace and im trying to get into this engine. So far i have succesfully installed and compiled the engine, and have run the walktest application.

Im using the latest pseudo stable version "cs-pseudo-stable-2006-01-27". Used the cs-win32libs-0[1][1].99r0_018 setup. And im using Visual Studio.net with VC 7.0.

The problem ive encountered is when i try to follow the tutorial "5.8.17 Creating an External MSVC 7 Application ". Ive followed the instrucions to the letter, but i get errors on compiling and on linking. The compile error is the following:

c:\Crystalspace\CS\include\csplatform.h(26): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'csconfig.h': No such file or directory

According to the tutorial im supposed to set up CS/include as a directory for the header files, but this doesnt seem to work. But when i tried to specify the excact directory where the 'csconfig.h' header file is located: \CS\include\csutil\win32 i dont get that error and the compiler moves on to linking.

The link errors i then get(when i dont get the compile error) is the following:

testapp2 fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libcsutil_d.lib'

Which is not very suprising as i cant locate the library files mentioned in the tutorial at all in the folders in the CS version im using. So ive realized that im following a tutorial based on an elder version of CS.

As it stands, it boils down to two questions:
Why do i have to specify the excact location were the header file 'csconfig.h' is? Why cant i use as instructed, the folder CS/include, since the header file is in a sub-subfolder of CS/include?
What libraries am i to use to complete the tutorial, since the ones mentioned in the tutorial doesnt exist?

Thanks in advance for any answers:)
ballrog

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 07:42:09 pm »

*EDIT*
I used libcrystalspace_d.lib found under CS\out\debug7\libs, and  libcrystalspace.lib under CS\out\release7\libs and got just a LINK warning as this:

Linking...
LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'MSVCRTD' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

Am i on the right track now perhaps?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 08:35:09 pm »

You are reading the wrong documentation. You are reading the documentation for 0.98. You should read the documentation for the latest CVS. Best is to read the documentation that is included with your version of Crystal Space. i.e. in docs/html/manual/index.html

The documentation for 0.98 which you are using is not useful for your version.

Greetings,
ballrog

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 09:04:05 pm »

Thanks, that fixed it:)
ballrog

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 07:46:46 pm »

I managed to compile the project, but when i try to run the executable file from the debug folder i get error messages in the command window:
Warning: could not load plugin 'crystalspace.kenrel.vfs'

In addition i get several similar warning messages stating that plugins could not be loaded, and at the end i get an error message saying:

ERROR: Failed to locate 3D renderer

I also get a suggestion that the CRYSTAL environment variable has to point to the correct location.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 08:20:54 pm »

I managed to compile the project, but when i try to run the executable file from the debug folder i get error messages in the command window:
Warning: could not load plugin 'crystalspace.kenrel.vfs'

In addition i get several similar warning messages stating that plugins could not be loaded, and at the end i get an error message saying:

ERROR: Failed to locate 3D renderer

I also get a suggestion that the CRYSTAL environment variable has to point to the correct location.

Well follow that suggestion then. Let it point to where CS was compiled.

Greetings,
ballrog

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 08:54:13 pm »

I wa meant to ask in my previous post how i can set the the environment variable to point at a desired location?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 11:19:11 pm »

I wa meant to ask in my previous post how i can set the the environment variable to point at a desired location?

You can do that in your system control panel. Advanced options/Environment variables.

Greetings,
ballrog

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 07:53:41 pm »

I appreciate the help, but unforunately that didnt work either:(
There wasnt a variable called CRYSTAL listed as a environment varable, so i tried to create one and point it at the location of my project, but it didnt work.

Is there any other things that might cause the errors?
ballrog

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 07:58:03 pm »

Stupid me!!
I pointed the CRYSTAL environment variable to my project folder, not the CS folder. When i pointed it at the CS folder everything worked fine.

Thanks for the help:)
janosik

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 06:35:20 pm »

"CRYStAL" env var  should point to CS folder with all the stuff or cs/out/release/ ?? where i build it ??
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 06:38:27 pm »

"CRYStAL" env var  should point to CS folder with all the stuff or cs/out/release/ ?? where i build it ??

To where all the dll's are and also the data directory and vfs.cfg

Greetings,
lib.lib.lib

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 09:19:14 pm »

ok i have got it compiled without erorrs.

i have made it like that.

unapcked cs-pseudo-stable-2006-01-27.zip and copied CS into "Program Files".
unapcked cel-pseudo-stable-2006-01-27.zip and copied CEL into "Program Files".

Set environmental variables Control Panels-->My Computer-->Properities-->Advenced-->Environmental Variable

CRYSTAL   C:\Program Files\CS
CEL   C:\Program Files\CEL

installed:
cs-win32libs-0.99r0_018.exe

in visual studio tool-->options-->Projects and Solutions-->VC++ Directories:

include directories added :
C:\CrystalSpaceLibs\include    //where cs-win32libs-0.99r0_018.exe was instaled
C:\Program Files\CS\include
C:\Program Files\cel\include

library directories added:
C:\CrystalSpaceLibs\lib\vc8
          builded CS solution
C:\Program Files\CS\out\release8\libs
          builded CEL solution
C:\Program Files\cel\out\release8\libs

i have installed also directX SDK but it is not needed probably.

And now only problem i have got is:
while running celtest application, messageBox appears with this message.

"crystalspace.maploader.parse.map: Could not open map file 'basic_world' on VFS!"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: