Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 04:58:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8271 Members
Latest Member: Naturesteffi
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Making Crystal Space Easier: Tutorials, documents, wiki, demos
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Making Crystal Space Easier: Tutorials, documents, wiki, demos  (Read 22142 times)
Ruel Haldi

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2006, 02:38:35 pm »

Hmm... well, I don't have the latest CVS, so that might be the problem.  Likewise, I'm using Python which seems to be a little finicky, since it demands the latest argument loading (it doesn't let you use deprecated functions).

However, I've run into multiple cases where the documentation on the website was not exactly correct. The information was mostly there, but the specifics were insufficient. For instance, the HitBeamObject problem above. In the code, it is described as deprecated. The web documentation didn't make that clear. Or the CreateLight issue I mentioned over in the TutorialDiscussion forum. The web doc says I can give it a name of 0, which doesn't work. In both cases, I had to go to the actual code documentation and read that before I could figure out what was wrong. Then I had to use trial and error to figure out how to use these functions correctly.

Considering the number of such issues I ran into while transcribing isotest, I imagine these aren't isolated occurences. Take this with a grain of salt. Isotest works just fine in C. However, the same functions used in Python were hanging for the reasons mentioned above. I think the problem may be that Python is just going to be more exacting.

In any case, the documentation problem is a lesser concern. I believe if the other issues are improved, the documentation will begin to take care of itself.
raptoravis

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 10:25:37 am »

Hi,

tutorials and documents are all important. but, the more important thing to make CS/CEL easier is:

1. it would be much better to organize plugins in a better way, that is, only keep the necessary core plugins, make others as an option. it is a bit messy currently...

2. a brief introduction to the plugins, what is the individual plugin's functionality.

3. I think there are already quite a lot of opensource engines, to make CS/CEL stand out, we need a real Game, which is not necessarily very complex, but, it should be complete and clean so that others can easily begin their own games from it as a tutorial/guide.

anyway, After many years I go back to CS again and find it evoled a lot, well done and hope it better!
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 10:56:01 am »

Hi,

tutorials and documents are all important. but, the more important thing to make CS/CEL easier is:

1. it would be much better to organize plugins in a better way, that is, only keep the necessary core plugins, make others as an option. it is a bit messy currently...

Well all plugins are already optional. When you make a CS app you can pick which plugin you need. Or what exactly do you mean here?

2. a brief introduction to the plugins, what is the individual plugin's functionality.

The documentation has this already although it is not 100% complete and it doesn't have a lot of information currently. It is most certainly a good point.

3. I think there are already quite a lot of opensource engines, to make CS/CEL stand out, we need a real Game, which is not necessarily very complex, but, it should be complete and clean so that others can easily begin their own games from it as a tutorial/guide.

Well we are working on the Crystal Core project for that purpose. That's going to be the CS game.

Also there are a few very impressive demos being developed right now.

Greetings,
Kannon

Email
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006, 08:38:15 am »

I'd be willing to help with a pretty level, if someone could give me an idea of what they want. (You know, gothic architecture, digital look, or whatnot.) Personally, I prefer darker stuff... but I know most people aren't like me Wink Give me a week or so to get used to creating levels in blender (Kind of disconcerting, going from a dedicated level editor, to doing levels in what you normally do models in.) and I could probably whip up something fair looking. Especially if I had someone to help me with the textures. Then again, I could probably hunt down some free textures and go from there. (I'm a 3d person, take out a dimension, and I get confused and frustrated). I'd definitely need some help with the actual programming behind it... I'm finding out more and more I'm not a programmer. Lol.
chuangzu

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2006, 04:13:46 pm »

I had an idea about getting some Crystal Core levels out of people.
Not sure what people will think of this but neway here goes.

We could have a contest to make the best Crystal Core level. Each team that is using Crystal Space engine would pay say £50 or whatever to enter the contest then the winner would take the pot. So if ten teams entered then this would mean a prize of £500.

Each team would have to make a working level to bolt into the Crystal Core demo game then people would play the levels and vote on which was the best one. There would have to be a time limit. Another requirement would be that they should each have to write a tutorial as to how they made their level.

In this way each team would be able to showcase their game and at the same time put some development into Crystal Core as a demo for the engine plus we would get some decent tuts out of it for noobie users like me who don't know a line of code to save my life.

I like this idea above of people swapping code snippets, if demo levels were made more accessible to do this would be a great leap forwards although no real substitute for good tutorials of how to build a basic world from Blender from scratch. I don't wan't to just hack together my project from other people's stuff I want to learn how to build it myself from Blender, I'm an artist not a hacker.
Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: