Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 09:21:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8264 Members
Latest Member: Georgiaroberto
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  intel mac
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: intel mac  (Read 5632 times)
katalisha

View Profile Email
« on: March 10, 2006, 02:06:32 am »

Will crystal space compile on an intel mac?

(This is probably stupid but I thought as long as I had gcc it wouldn't matter)
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 06:15:39 am »

Will crystal space compile on an intel mac?

(This is probably stupid but I thought as long as I had gcc it wouldn't matter)

It should.

Greetings,
katalisha

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 10:59:46 am »

Ok, the reason I ask is that when I type 'make -k all' I get a whole lot of:

{standard input}:<some number here>:operands given don't match any known 386 instruction

in between the make commands.

eg:

Code:
... g++ -c -o ./out/macosxx86/optimize/libs/csutil/cfgfile.o -I. -I./include -I./include -Wmost -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pipe
-march=i586 -I/usr/local/include -Wno-long-double -force_cpusubtype_ALL -fno-common -fno-exceptions -fvisibility=hidden
-Wno-non-virtual-dtor -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -DCS_CRYSTALSPACE_LIB
-DCS_CONFIGDIR='"/usr/local/etc/crystalspace"' -DCS_PLUGINDIR='"/usr/local/lib/crystalspace"'  libs/csutil/cfgfile.cpp

{standard input}:3318:operands given don't match any known 386 instruction

g++ -c -o ./out/macosxx86/optimize/libs/csutil/cfgmgr.o -I. -I./include -I./include -Wmost -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pipe -march=i586
-I/usr/local/include -Wno-long-double -force_cpusubtype_ALL -fno-common -fno-exceptions

Does anyone know what this means?

I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.5, the psudo stable CS and I installed fink but that didn't change anything.
Daniel Fryer

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 09:37:00 am »

Not sure about the intel macs, but gcc 4.0.0 on the PPC Macs seems to show off considerable bugginess, so first I'd try gcc 3.3.  Failing that, maybe removing the -march=i586 flag somehow?

The only places I see that message showing up (using google) is for linux users with old versions of GNU Binutils.  No idea of the applicability to Apple's toolchain though.
Daniel Fryer

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 10:35:00 pm »

Also, try reconfiguring with with --enable-debug, because that will disable a bunch of optimizations which may not be entirely working.  I'm at least very curious as to the source of the problem.
Xoalin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 08:26:49 pm »

Did the google check to and got hits on binutils (2.9ish).

Are those the default compile flags? 

GCC 3.4.5 Manual check out some of those flags and see if you need them.

Find out what family your CPU fits into as far as GCC is concerned, and try and specify that family for -march. For some packages I have to make sure I specify -march=k8 or opteron to avoid relocation errors due to the changes in the assembly for the 64 bit extensions. I'm just wondering if it might be something similar.

jos

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 07:41:38 pm »

This thread has been inactive for almost 3 months, but I'm wondering if there's been any progess?
I'll post my own progress here in case anyone else reads this later.

I started working on installing Crystalspace yesterday.
I've got all the dependencies sorted now
I've gotten rid of the 386 thingy by removing the march compiler option
Then I encountered an error on plugins/sndsys/renderer/software/drivers/coreaudio/driver_coreaudio.cpp:176, which I was able to evade by changing the dot in 'requested_format.Flags' to '->'.

Current error :
ranlib: file: /usr/local/lib/libcrystalspace.a(memdebug.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: /usr/local/lib/libcrystalspace.a(profile.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: /usr/local/lib/libcrystalspace.a(reftrackeraccess.o) has no symbols

EDIT : seems to not be an error at all Smiley

Found out I needed a more recent version, so I got the version from SVN.  Managed to compile it, then tried to run the walktest program, but there was a Segmentation Fault related to AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 03:37:17 pm by jos » Logged
pandaman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 05:10:21 pm »

I got walktest to work by removing the march 386 stuff - but I never got textures to appear on surfaces - just checkerboard,
I did get libJpeg to install after some messing around but still no textures.
Im not sure what changed, but now when I run walktest I get an error

ERROR: Failed to load plug-in module `/usr/local/lib/crystalspace/vfs.csplugin'.
Reason: File does not exist (/usr/local/lib/crystalspace/vfs.csbundle)
SCF_WARNING: factory returned a null instance for crystalspace.kernel.vfs
        if error messages are not self explanatory, recompile CS with CS_DEBUG
WARNING: could not load plugin 'crystalspace.kernel.vfs'

The file does exist and is in that directory, but maybe its damaged :/

I think I might have to start again.

Incidentally - Planeshift runs absolutely fine on my intel mac first time no problems - so I'm thinking to contact that team and get some advice. If anyone else gets anywhere please post here Smiley
Maybe post a step by step edit process for mac intel ?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 05:24:47 pm by pandaman » Logged
jos

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 05:21:02 pm »

On the Mac support area on the Planeshift forums, there is a thread about Intel Macs, and at least one person has got everything working by building all the dependencies himself with some tweaks to the compilation options.
What gfx card do you have in that Intel Mac?
pandaman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 05:25:58 pm »

Radeon X1600 - 256
Jos - are you building with make or Jam - and which version of Jam ?
I downloaded a version of CS from SVN and it had no warnings about architecture when I did ./configure.
However it would only build with Jam - no emulation layer for make I believe.
Anyway once I had it all built the executables like walktest are empty ?
CS comes with a version of Jam which is what I used, and there is also source included (apps/tools/jam) which when 'made' makes a folder called bin.macosxx86

-confused-
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 01:09:20 pm by pandaman » Logged
jos

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 03:59:49 pm »

I used Jam, either the version that was supplied with CS, or one that was supplied with Planeshift or one of the dependencies of CS.
I didnt have a warning during the ./configure step, it only caused problems during compilation.  I simply changed it in the generated configuration file (Jamsomething I think, you can just search for 'march').
While troubleshooting, I ran Jam with the '-q' option, this causes Jam to stop whenever it encounters an error (instead of trying to ignore it).

I kinda gave up, because my problem seems to be a gfx driver issue, and I can't seem to get any support anywhere (Apple or Intel).
pandaman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 09:46:22 am »

I fixed the bug in JAM and got CS to compile - but now it crashes on startup - I believe something to do with CoreAudio - so maybe a similair problem to your own.

EDIT
using the latest svn I now have a working version of CrystalSpace on intel mac with blender2crystal v.6 working as well.
You may need to hack latest CEL to get that working or it may have been updated in SVN by now.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 05:03:20 pm by pandaman » Logged
canbum

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 09:53:36 am »

Hello,
I think I have the same computer, Intel Mac OS 10.4 with ATI Radeon 1600X. Is not there a Crystal Space compiled version that I could download, so that I don´t have to compile it? I don´t understand why every user have to compile...
best regards,
Vincent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 01:39:27 pm »

Hello,
I think I have the same computer, Intel Mac OS 10.4 with ATI Radeon 1600X. Is not there a Crystal Space compiled version that I could download, so that I don´t have to compile it? I don´t understand why every user have to compile...
best regards,

For the records:
  • starting with CS 1.4, there's much better support for Universal binaries build
  • generally, there are no binaries of CS itself because
    • CS is a software development kit, so its users should be able to compile it
    • releasing binaries would take much developer and testing time, so it's not a priority

Now, if one still has problems with Intel Mac support, please open a new thread wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: