Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 08:49:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9005 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8336 Members
Latest Member: Arlcharl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Problem with large map files - lots of lag.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Problem with large map files - lots of lag.  (Read 3255 times)
FCP

Email
« on: March 14, 2006, 07:24:24 pm »

In this case by a large map file I mean a file with many templates (56) that have a number (around 10) meshes on them that define internal and external walls  - the level IS horribly laggy if the camera is pointing at the templates (they are positioned in a straight line).

My guess is that CS calculates visibility based on which way the camera is pointing (it doesnt take solid walls as a factor for line of sight) since if I turn around the FPS return to normal values. So will setting the camera in an isometric perspective or so help reduce the lag or should I just reduce the number of templates because CS cant handle it?

Can anything else be done for lag reduction?

By the way I am having trouble compiling my CEL applications due to some stupid error (this is relevant since CEL makes camera work easy), I have posted about it the CEL subforum.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 07:29:53 pm »

In this case by a large map file I mean a file with many templates (56) that have a number (around 10) meshes on them that define internal and external walls  - the level IS horribly laggy if the camera is pointing at the templates (they are positioned in a straight line).

My guess is that CS calculates visibility based on which way the camera is pointing (it doesnt take solid walls as a factor for line of sight) since if I turn around the FPS return to normal values. So will setting the camera in an isometric perspective or so help reduce the lag or should I just reduce the number of templates because CS cant handle it?

Can anything else be done for lag reduction?

By the way I am having trouble compiling my CEL applications due to some stupid error (this is relevant since CEL makes camera work easy), I have posted about it the CEL subforum.

You could attempt to use the Dynavis visibility culler but I guess that you are using lightmapped things? These can cause a lot of performance overhead because they use a lot of texture memory. Perhaps reducing texture size or going from 16x16 to 32x32 lightmap lumel size (lightmapcellsize in settings) will help.

Greetings,
FCP

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 07:50:13 pm »

I did that (changed the lumel size and the texture size) but it was still pretty laggy - turning off the light completely helped though.

Will realigning the camera help though?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 08:17:54 pm »

I did that (changed the lumel size and the texture size) but it was still pretty laggy - turning off the light completely helped though.

Will realigning the camera help though?

Realigning camera will not really help I think. Try using dynavis visibility culler or else try to reduce the number of objects (i.e. merge objects into bigger object) as CS performs better with fewer objects (that use more polygons).

Greetings,
FCP

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 08:47:02 pm »

Ok how do I go about the using the dynavis visibility culler then?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 08:57:23 pm »

Ok how do I go about the using the dynavis visibility culler then?

Adding  <cullerp>crystalspace.culling.dynavis</cullerp> inside a sector.

Greetings,
FCP

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 09:35:20 pm »

Ok now that improved the FPS quite a bit.
FCP

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 09:37:11 pm »

Thanks!
FCP

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 10:01:25 pm »

By the way is there any way to turn off alll the shadows - they seem to be a real performance issue.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 11:08:36 pm »

By the way is there any way to turn off alll the shadows - they seem to be a real performance issue.

Shadows are not the problem. But lightmapping is. You can turn off lightmapping by either switching to genmesh (probably best) or else adding <lighting>no</lighting> to all thing polygons.

Greetings,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: