Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:49:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9011 Posts in 2044 Topics by 8892 Members
Latest Member: Howtrimb
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Capturing input and displaying it back to the user...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Capturing input and displaying it back to the user...  (Read 1578 times)
willjm

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2006, 11:44:10 pm »

I'm looking to do something similar to Quake Arena or Unreal Tournament for communication between players. I would like to be able to have a user hit the 't' key and allow them to input text and then display it when the user presses Enter. My question is, do I have to use the iConsoleInput and iConsoleOutput to create my prompt or is there another way of doing this that doesn't include me opening up the console for the user? Maybe I need to make two console objects. One to take regular console commands and the other for communication. I know I could use the CS_REPORTER_SEVERITY_NOTIFY flag if I really had to leverage it to display text; however, that doesn't provide me with a way to capture text. Also, if I have to use the console, is there a way to reposition the console on the screen so it's not always in the upper left corner? Potentially even display a box with an alpha channel behind it programmatically instead of using a csSimplePixmap?

thanks,

-  willjm
allpowerful32

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 02:09:07 am »

Don't try to use the console for that.  Use the AWS or CEGUI textbox objects (or ones with similar functions).  This will make the whole thing much nicer. 
willjm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 05:11:15 am »

I think that's a bit more than I can chew on for the moment. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: