There are a number of places where you can talk with other users of Crystal Space and companions, ask questions, or talk about your project.
Note that registration is required (due to spam problems).
There are a number of mailing lists about Crystal Space and companions:
- crystal-main (Subscribe, archive at Gmane, archive at SourceForge) is the general discussion mailing list for users Crystal Space.
- cel-main (Subscribe, archive at SourceForge) is the general discussion mailing list for CEL.
Note: All of the mailing lists here only allow posting by subscribed list members; posts from unsubscribed addresses are held back.
If you want to track the development of Crystal Space:
- crystal-cvs (Subscribe, archive at Gmane, archive at SourceForge) receives notifications every time a commit is made to the Crystal Space source repository. Be aware that this are a lot of messages occasionally, but you can keep track of the development very closely.
- crystal-tracker (Subscribe, archive at Gmane) receives notifications when a change is made to the Crystal Space issue tracker. This allows to keep track of new bugs and the work on existing ones.
If you are only interested in "important" announcements:
- crystal-announce (Subscribe, archive at Gmane, archive at SourceForge) is used for significant announcements (e.g. new releases).
You can also find a few more (though less generally interesting) mailing lists the Crystal Space SourceForge page.
If you have a quick code-related question or just want to chat about your project then you can visit the #CrystalSpace IRC channel at FreeNode.net. If you have a more art-related question then you can visit #CrystalSpace-arts on the same IRC network.
When you enter...
Some tips to avoid some common “newbie mistakes”:
- You don't need to ask if you may ask a question. Just ask; if somebody feels inclined to answer, he/she will do so.
- Be patient. Rarely everyone in the channel is available all the time: the computer may be logged in to IRC, but the users may be away, asleep, generally busy etc., and a number simply just lurk. So if you don't get an answer right away it doesn't mean you'll never get one; it may, however, take a while.
- Don't paste more than 5 lines of text. Use a website such as rafb.net/paste or pastebin.ca when you need to paste more.
- European “daytime hours” see more activity.
As a last resort, or if you want to discuss an issue unsuitable for the public resources (e.g. because of legal reasons) you can mail the main developers directly: Jorrit Tyberghein, Eric Sunshine, Frank Richter, Mårten Svanfeldt.
If you desire commercial support for bigger problems, sponsored features, project startup and training you can visit www.crystalsquared.com for more information.
Some Crystal Space developers and users have blogs published here as well.
Crystal Space Events
- In 2006 we had a conference in Aachen. You can read about it at this page.
- In 2007 we will have a conference in Aachen again. Read about it at this page.
Projects using CS
Crystal Space is used as an engine by a number of other projects. You can find the list on the Projects Using CS page.
Game Programming Communities
- GameDev.net, all your game development needs. A great game programming comunity.
- Game Programming Wiki, game programming tutorial and sources.
Other languages: Portuguese
Fun Stuff, Miscellaneous
- Ohloh.net has a page with statistics for Crystal Space. What you can look at are lines of code, programming language distribution, author commit stats, and some more. Perhaps most interesting is to compare with other projects. Crystal Entity Layer also has a page there.
- Koders.com has a similar page with statistics for Crystal Space. Unfortunatelly it is not updated to our new SVN server.
- CIA, a live tracker for changes made to Open Source projects, also has statistics for Crystal Space. These are gathered directly from our Subversion repository.
- DevMaster.net has a database of graphics engines. Of course, Crystal Space is present there as well (in the category Open Source engines). You can also write reviews for engines and vote for your favorite one (i.e. Crystal Space).
- There is a FreshMeat page for Crystal Space.
- Happy Penguin has entries for Crystal Space and Crystal Entity Layer.