|Line 103:||Line 103:|
* Artificial Intelligence
* Artificial Intelligence
** trees to build complex artificial behaviours by combination of single decision nodes.
** Hierarchical path finding upon [http://code.google.com/p/recastnavigation/ Recast & Detour], steering
** Hierarchical path finding upon [http://code.google.com/p/recastnavigation/ Recast & Detour], steering .
** Neural networks and genetic algorithms.
** Neural networks and genetic algorithms.
Revision as of 20:51, 27 March 2011
The Crystal Space SDK
- Highly platform independent with good platform abstraction. Supports GNU/Linux, OSX and Windows.
- Support of a wide range of compilers and IDE, including Visual C++ 8, 9 & 10, gcc, MinGW/MSYS, Code::Blocks.
- Written in standard C++ using very few non-standard extensions.
- Self contained so that many modules requires no or few external dependencies.
- Virtual File System handling both physical files on disk and files within ZIP files.
- Abstracted configuration layer with support for settings in configuration file, system dependent storage such as the registry and command line.
- Modularized using a lightweight component framework, SCF, based upon the COM model. Components can be easily loaded or switched dynamically.
- Bindings for other programming languages through SWIG: Java, Python, Perl, dedicated bindings for Python.
- All subsystems easily extendable for new file formats.
- Rendering & Lighting
- OpenGL-based engine, supports hardware accelerated rendering on all supported platforms and cards from all well known vendors.
- Rendering loops for custom rendering of objects.
- Unshadowed, parallel-split shadow maps, and deferred lighting render managers.
- Static lighter with radiosity and caustic.
- Lightmap and per-vertex lighting.
- Rendering to textures.
- Can be written in Cg and ARB. Shader description and mappings are defined in a XML compliant language.
- Support for multiple passes, vertex and fragment programs. Light selection and multiple lights in one pass possible.
- Shader weaver for combination of shaders and post-processing effects.
- HDR rendering, tone mapping and eye adaptation.
- Fallback system of shader techniques for hardware compatibility.
- Library of available shaders and post-processing effects: diffuse, specular, bump map, glow, parallax, fur, bloom, blur, water, glass, and many others.
- Automatic environment mapping.
- Scene & Level Of Detail Management
- Decomposition of a world in sectors with portals connecting them. Portals can be used for effects such as LOD management, streamed loading, mirrors or space warping.
- Three different cullers: hardware occlusion culling (Occluvis), frustum culling (Frustvis), and dPVS (Dynavis).
- General system for static LOD on all types of meshes, progressive LODS.
- Impostors for replacement of far meshes with a 2D object.
- Threaded loader for streamed loading of levels and objects.
- Instanciation of meshes and objects.
- Many different type of meshes: general triangle mesh with multi-materials, cal3d meshes, sprite 2D, sprite 3D, ocean,...
- Terrain mesh with paging, multi-splatting, deformations and automatic loading and unloading of terrain cells.
- Mesh generator to dress up a scene with objects such as flora and rocks,...
- Decals to be added on top of other meshes, even animated.
- Configurable and extensible particle system mesh with billboards, emitters, physical effectors,...
- Halos and lens flares.
- Automatic triangulation of shapes.
- Specialized and powerful mesh for advanced skeletal animation with animation blending trees, volume preserving dual quaternion skinning, morphing, and sockets.
- Many types of animation nodes can be combined to generate dynamically complex animations: multi-blending, Finite State Machine, random, priority, LookAt, Inverse Kinematics (Quaternion-CCD and physically-based), speed (time warping), debug.
- Ragdoll animation and animation of hairs & equipment.
- Transparent import of BVH motion capture data, with real-time retargeting to a different (but similar) skeleton.
- Motion capture viewer with integrated Point Light Display system.
- Generic animation system for management of sequences of time events.
- Coherent noise generation through the libnoise library.
- 2D and 3D sounds with OpenAL.
- Audio codecs: speex, ogg, wav (8- and 16-bit PCM).
- Provides both one-time playing of effects and streaming playing in the background for music.
- Physics & Collisions
- Physics of rigid bodies and joints, made through a wrapper for two physics libraries: Bullet and ODE.
- Support of kinematic bodies for interaction between classical animation and the physical simulation.
- Transparent integration with the terrain system.
- Soft bodies to simulate ropes, clothes and other volumetric deformable objects. General meshes can be animated automatically through them.
- Debug plugin to visualize the physical simulation.
- Simplified collision detection when you don't need the full dynamics simulation.
- Data Representation
- XML language for the description of each object and plugin of the whole CS. XML files can be set binary for faster loading.
- Procedural, dynamic and animated textures.
- Support for many image formats: png, jpg, dds, bmp, gif, tga, mng, jng, (binary) alpha, transparency, non 2n sized images,...
- Generic model importer for static and animated models for many 3D file formats.
- Dedicated Exporters for many 3D file formats: Blender 2.49 through blender2crystal, Blender 2.5x through B2.5CS, 3D Studio Max, Maya, and model importers for common file formats such as COLLADA, 3ds, cal3d and md2.
- User Interface
- Event system & peripherals: mouse, joystick, keyboard.
- Graphical user interface system through CEGUI.
- User interface widgets for wxWidgets.
- Text localization.
- Plugin fo easy video recording and uber-screenshots.
- Font servers, FreeType2 and glyphs fonts.
- Project Management
- Debugging tools: generic plugin for visual debugging of scenes, support for Valgrind and CppUnit.
- Scripts for generation of new projects.
- Easy compilation and customization of the whole project thanks to Jam.
The Crystal Entity Layer
- Entity System
- Each object in CEL is an entity. Entities are defined by adding them a list of property classes that defines their attributes and their behaviour.
- Generic event system for communication between entities and property classes.
- Persistence layer for saving and loading world states.
- Experimental FTP-based network layer.
- Runtime Package Environment
- CELStart: generic executable for all CELStart packaged applications, only the packed data files of the applications have to be installed on the user machines.
- The whole logic may be written with bindings for Python, or in a XML scripting language.
- Artificial Intelligence
- Behaviour trees to build complex artificial behaviours by combination of single decision nodes.
- Hierarchical path finding upon Recast & Detour, steering behaviours.
- Neural networks and genetic algorithms.
- World Management
- Avatar and Non Player Character management: synchronization of the user actions with the mesh, its animations, its position and its collisions.
- Camera management with many different modes: first person, third person, tracking, isometric, horizontal.
- Region management: decomposition of a complete world in regions, with zoning between regions.
- Advanced management of portals, e.g. for closing portals that are occluded.
- Spawning of entities.
- Triggering of proximity events.
- Inventory & Interaction
- Key and peripherals events bindings.
- Billboards and tooltips.
- Inventory system.
- Selecting and grabbing objects.
- Advanced Physics
- Projectiles and damages to entities.
- Collision management with the ground.
- Advanced physical effects: fluids, thrusters, steering, explosions, attractors and repulsors.
- Vehicles and their physics: bikes, cars, tanks, hovercrafts, or any wheeled vehicle.
- Mesh deformation, e.g. for destroying gradually an object.