Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 03:40:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2046 Topics by 9096 Members
Latest Member: Jolaoslup
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Project Development
| |-+  Development Discussion
| | |-+  Decals (I'll help too!)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Decals (I'll help too!)  (Read 4992 times)
SkyRenderX

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2006, 02:03:48 am »

I am a graduate student with a great interest in game development.  As is typical for a college student, the time requirement imposed by my studies makes pursuing personal projects a difficult matter.  This means that I have been unable to find the time to work with projects such as Crystal Space.

If all goes well this may soon change.

Having heard of the Summer of Code program, I was excited to find the Crystal Space project as a participant.  If selected as a participant, my entire summer will be freed up to work on something that truly interests me (game engine development).  I have experience working with OpenGL and 3D graphics, and am confidant that I will be able to learn inner workings of Crystal Space.

I am most interested in the Decals project (http://www.crystalspace3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Decals).  Could someone explain the proposed implementation details a bit more?  I would like to get a better feel for the project before I submit a proposal.  Here are my questions:

What are the difficulties involved in attaching a decal to a moving object rather than a static mesh?

Also, the decals API page mentions the implementation of a z-bias.  To my understanding, this feature is not implemented in all 3D cards.  Would I be correct to assume that this would be implemented entirely in software?

Again I would like to mention that I am well aware that I will have a learning curve to pass through before I can begin coding.  However, at this point I would simply like to get a better feel for what I would be implementing before I begin work on my formal proposal.  Thanks in advance for any help.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 05:32:30 am »

Animated objects have the problem that the original decal has to move with the animation. Typically decals are done by adding extra geometry on which to paint the decals. So you have to make sure that the polygons moves when the original model moves. I'm not sure exactly (at this time) what kind of changes this would imply in CS so this is something that you and your mentor would have to find out first.

I think z-bias is simply doing a z-offset so that the decal polygon is slightly in front of the other polygon. This is supported by all cards as it can easily be done in software.

Greetings,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: