Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 08:29:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8990 Posts in 2037 Topics by 7601 Members
Latest Member: Ariel1eeschimize
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  trouble compiling CS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: trouble compiling CS  (Read 7887 times)
slaguth

View Profile Email
« on: June 22, 2006, 12:02:25 am »

I am new to CS and am trying to compile it for the first time, and am having problems.
I am using MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition on Windows XP and compiling files contained in cs-pseudo-stable-2006-01-27.zip.

FYI:
I DID install the most recent PSDK from microsoft.
I DID run the cs-win32libs-0.99r0_021.exe to add the necessary libraries to the project.
I DID read the FAQs included in the package, they helped with some compilation problems, but not all.

What I did:
1. Installed the PSDK.
2. Created the "CS" directory in Program Files.
3. Ran cs-win32libs-0.99r0_021.exe to add correct files to the CS directory.
4. Unzipped cs-pseudo-stable-2006-01-27.zip into the CS folder.
5. Opened CS\mk\msvc8\wktypical.sln and tried to compile.

Errors:
1. At first, everything failed on including windef.h. I assumed that this meant that the include directories were incorrect, and edited them to include the PSDK directories. This seemed to fix the problem.
2. Then I got a "unresolved symbols" error. Looking at the FAQ I found that I should add the file witht the definitions to the project, and did that. I found that detectdriver.cpp file had the definitions I needed, and added that to the project. That seemed to fix the problem.
3. I then got MORE "unresolved symbols" errors. They were complaining about SHGetPathFromIDListA and SHGetSpecialFolderLocation and SHGetMalloc and some others, which seem to not be in the project but in the PSDK file shlobj.h. This is what I am stuck on, because adding it to the project doesn't fix anything. So if you could help me with this one, I would really apreciate it.

Other errors:
Warning "no public symbols found; archive member will be inaccessible" No idea what that means.
Can't find "cal3d.lib" I guess I am missing that library. Fixable, but I don't know how to turn off the cal3d.lib part of CS. Not that I couldn't find out.
arunk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 12:51:22 am »

Hi,
I'm new to CS myself, but I noticed you just posted a little before I did. I'm not sure if anyone else is online at this time so I thought I'd help point out a few simple things.. in case it helps.

Take a look at <CSfolder>\libs\csutil\win32\libs. This folder has a bunch of static libs (.libs) including your cal3d.lib. Try adding all these libs to your project. Just worth a shot, with those unresolved symbol errors.

Good luck
NeoLithic

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 03:19:55 am »

I ran into the same issues you have run into. With a bit of work, I reached a solution that worked for me. For starters, make sure you have the /CrystalSpaceLibs/libs directory added to your Libraries in VC. Next, view the files listed in that same directory. You'll notice a few files named like Cal3d-vc7, Cal3d-vc8, Cal3d-vc7_d, etc. Located all these files, and rename the ones that fit the version of CS you have. For example, if you have VC 8, you'd do this:

Rename Cal3d-vc8 to Cal3d.lib
Rename Cal3d-vc8_d to Cal3d_d.lib
etc.

Rename all the files like this approriately.

Hope this helps.
slaguth

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 05:15:25 am »

Thanks. I guess that answers my questions about where to get the other libraries... but I am not sure about the other errors I posted about. Unless you are saying that not having those libs caused the other errors... I'll have to mess around with that a little.
slaguth

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 02:19:33 am »

So I did some messing around, and it turned out that the majority of my problems came from not finishing the entire process of installing the PSDK (you would never guess what you have to do to get it to work).

ANYWAYS, I tried compiling again, and got about 10 times less errors. BUT I STILL GOT 3 ERRORS!!! Aparently they have to do with a certain mt.exe not working properly, because windows causes mt.exe close unexpectedly in the middle of compilation.

If you could tell me what my problem is exactly and how to fix it, I would be much abliged.
slaguth

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 07:15:17 pm »

So after more messing around I found that the PSDK has a copy of mt.exe. I tried messing around with the directories so that VC would go to the PSDK version of mt.exe first and tried building. I still had errors, but Windows didn't close mt.exe in the middle of operation this time, so I guess it helped a little.

Here is the ouput from my build:
1>------ Build started: Project: plgsnowldr, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
2>------ Build started: Project: plgsnow, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
2>Could not find the temporary path. Make sure the TEMP environment variable is set.
2>
2>Embedding manifest...
1>Embedding manifest...
1>mt.exe:general error c101008d:Failed to write the updated manifest to the resource of file "..\..\snowldr.dll". The operation failed.
2>mt.exe:general error c101008d:Failed to write the updated manifest to the resource of file "..\..\snow.dll". The operation failed.
1>Project : error PRJ0002 : Error result 31 returned from 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Bin\mt.exe'.
2>Project : error PRJ0002 : Error result 31 returned from 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Bin\mt.exe'.

1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Program Files\CS\out\release8\build\plgsnowldr\BuildLog.htm"
1>plgsnowldr - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
2>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Program Files\CS\out\release8\build\plgsnow\BuildLog.htm"
2>plgsnow - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
3>------ Build started: Project: plgnull3d, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
3>Embedding manifest...
3>mt.exe:general error c101008f:Failed to compile manifest(s). The parameter is incorrect.
3>Project : error PRJ0002 : Error result 31 returned from 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Bin\mt.exe'.

3>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Program Files\CS\out\release8\build\plgnull3d\BuildLog.htm"
3>plgnull3d - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 3 failed, 194 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I am not sure what this "result 31" means (except of course that mt.exe returned the integer 31, which is aparently bad), so if you could help me on this I would greatly apreciate it.
slaguth

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 10:48:54 pm »

And to head off the argument that the TEMP variable was not set, I checked its value with command prompt and saw that it was set.
slaguth

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 08:45:22 pm »

SERIOUSLY, I NEED HELP HERE!!!

Yeah, I know I may look like a fool asking questions and comming up with my own answers and making mistakes that only an inexperienced developer would make, but I am really stumped here!

Please look at my previous two posts and tell me if there is anything obviously wrong, what this strange result from mt.exe means, or directly me to some place where I can get those answers!

(Also, if I am being an idoit please tell me so. Even idiots don't know their own mistakes.)
slaguth

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 01:58:17 am »

Hola como estas? Yo necesito ayuda.

SERIOUSLY, DOES ANYONE REALIZE I HAVE A PROBLEM HERE?! I don't just post on this forum for fun!

After some searching I didn't find anything useful. The only person who seemed to have a similar problem was using a buggy version of the Vista operating system (I am using a much more stable version of XP) so I really don't think I am going to get leads there.

Seriously, would someone post just to let me know I am not just talking to my self.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE HELPFUL, EVEN IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE SOLUTION YOURSELF, IF YOU COULD SUGGEST SOMETHING TO CHECK OR LOOK UP ON, IT WOULD REALLY HELP!
paganwarrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 07:39:32 am »

Did you  installed PSDK correctly? I use MSVC8 and never seen this errors and warnings. Follow this guide: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/

Mabe smiley
paganwarrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 07:47:30 am »

Or I recommend you a full reinstall (MSVC8, PSDK, and PSDK setup, following the official MS guide).
slaguth

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 07:29:20 pm »

Thank you SOOOO MUCH for posting!!! It is so anoying talking to myself.

I do believe I installed the PSDK properly. I am sure that I didn't install it properly the first time, but I corrected that by following the instructions on the page you listed. Although it got rid of 90% of the errors I was getting, it didn't get rid of the mt.exe errors. There is a remote possibility that I didn't install it properly, but I think I did, because the test mentioned at the bottom the page you listed works.

I may very well have to reinstall VC, but that could be a problem, because I got it through MSDN and my programming teacher, who retired.

P.S. are you sure you are using the Express Edition of MSVC8? (Although I guess that you wouldn't need to install the PSDK if you weren't.)
paganwarrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 07:41:25 pm »

are you sure you are using the Express Edition of MSVC8?

Personally, I'm sure. smiley
slaguth

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 11:34:14 pm »

When you suggested reinstalling VC, did you think there might be any specific problems with my installation? Or did you just think that seeing as there weren't any other seemingly aparently problems or solutions that reinstalling it might just do the trick?

Just wondering: does microsoft give out (allow you to download) copies of VC8 Express for free (legally)? Because I don't have the installation CD anymore (because I had to return it to my programming teacher).
paganwarrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 07:51:04 am »

MSVC Express is freely aviablle, and you can develop commercial apps too with this edition too. You can download and use legally.
The mt.exe error is an old known problem in MSVC, just  google it:

http://www.google.com/search?hs=Hna&hl=hu&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=+PRJ0002+mt.exe&btnG=Keres%C3%A9s&lr=

This were a beta bug in MSVC8. Have you an older MSVC (RC, or later)?

In that case  recomend you this tool to uninstall:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=47065

With MSVC Express+PSDK+Support libs  I always can compile CS.  Maybe you can too Smiley

Greetings:
PWarrior

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: