Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 11:44:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2046 Topics by 9111 Members
Latest Member: Jorak
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  which version to use
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: which version to use  (Read 3093 times)
ghaz

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2006, 10:12:28 am »

I've been struggling a bit with getting the code provided in some cel tutorials to compile. According to other threads, the reason for this is that my version of CS is either too old, or too new. Currently I am using the pseudo stable releases for both cel and cs (2006-01-27).

I wanted to try the maze tutorial, but apparently it is only included in the cvs (or svn) version.

Should I switch over to the svn version, or are there some nice step-by-step coding tutorials that is proven to work for the pseudo-stable version?

Just some comments on what version of CS and CEL you are currently using will also be helpful.

thanks

[edit:]
I decided to download the svn CS anyway and I'd like to make a suggestion: It would probably be a good idea to indicate the approximate size of the total download. For people like me (who pay per MB downloaded) it isn't a pleasant surprise to expect around 30MB (about the size of the pseudo-stable .gz.bz2 version) and then getting 240MB (I'm not even done with the download yet). Sad I should probably have tried the .gz.bz2 snapshots. Too late now.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 11:22:43 am by ghaz » Logged
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 07:27:03 am »

I've been struggling a bit with getting the code provided in some cel tutorials to compile. According to other threads, the reason for this is that my version of CS is either too old, or too new. Currently I am using the pseudo stable releases for both cel and cs (2006-01-27).

I wanted to try the maze tutorial, but apparently it is only included in the cvs (or svn) version.

Should I switch over to the svn version, or are there some nice step-by-step coding tutorials that is proven to work for the pseudo-stable version?

Just some comments on what version of CS and CEL you are currently using will also be helpful.

thanks

The latest svn is pretty stable so I can recommend that.

[edit:]
I decided to download the svn CS anyway and I'd like to make a suggestion: It would probably be a good idea to indicate the approximate size of the total download. For people like me (who pay per MB downloaded) it isn't a pleasant surprise to expect around 30MB (about the size of the pseudo-stable .gz.bz2 version) and then getting 240MB (I'm not even done with the download yet). Sad I should probably have tried the .gz.bz2 snapshots. Too late now.

I see if we can do that but that page is automatically generated so I'm not sure what options we have there.

Greetings,
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 07:36:41 am »

Where did you find that huge download? I can't find it. It shouldn't be that big so I would like to know which url exactly has that size.

Greetings,
paganwarrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 07:58:47 am »

Where did you find that huge download? I can't find it. It shouldn't be that big so I would like to know which url exactly has that size.

Some older daily snapshot had this size (they contained debug data, I don't know, why). The newer packages(including latest)  has the correct size.
ghaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 08:47:44 am »

It wasn't one of the links, I used svn. The exact command I used used:

svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/crystal/CS/trunk crystal

I'm not a "master" of svn, but I think (hope) that is the correct way of doing it.

While I'm busy posting, I'll also ask a quick question: With the pseudo-stable version (cs and cel) I had walktest, celtest and mechtest running without any errors. But with the svn version (july 23) walktest and celtest still works, but with mechtest I get a black screen. Everything seems to work fine (no error messages), but you can't see anything. The -relight command also doesn't have any effect. Any advice?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 08:56:40 am »

Yes, that's correct and in that case it is normal that you get 240 megs.

Hmm mechtest may be broken. Have to test it.

Greetings,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: