Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 03:12:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2051 Topics by 8479 Members
Latest Member: Darbee3
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Miscellaneous
| |-+  Article/Tutorial Discussion
| | |-+  Tutorial Format
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tutorial Format  (Read 5329 times)
P/thrash

View Profile Email
« on: August 17, 2006, 02:41:02 am »

First off I'd like to thank all of the people who have written Crystal Space tutorials.  Theres no way the average joe could get things running without them.  I would like to put out a request though.  Very few of the tutorials bother to mention what Platform and Version specs were used.  A small header or footnote would make things alot easier.  for instance..........

0.98/ Windows 2000; and XP/ Blender/ATI RADEON/ VS6.

Then at the bottom of the page you put this.   "If you get this working please note your System configuration if it is different than above. Using format Verision/platform/program/graphics/compiler."

I think you would get alot fewer of these threads...."I tried 'Blank' and it didn't work"..."Well did you try 'blank'..."yes I tried 'blank' and also 'blank"..."What version are you using?"...."Im using Blank"..."Hmm that should work then, what platform?"...."Windows."..."Well I havent tried it on windows."....

It's great that everyone is helpful, but it seems like alot of work.  Especially for the guy who wrote the tutorial, and the developers who get peppered with questions every time someone gets stuck. It would be alot easier on people searching for platform specific solutions and info if it was organized from the top down. 

jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 05:49:15 am »

That is not really useful as all tutorials we have are guaranteed to work on all platforms. If there is a problem with someone running a tutorial then it is a more general problem with CS itself. And NOT with the tutorial. The only thing that matters is the version of CS to use but that one is obvious from where you are reading the tutorial from.

Greetings,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: