Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 08:33:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8990 Posts in 2037 Topics by 7601 Members
Latest Member: Ariel1eeschimize
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Trying to get up and running
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Trying to get up and running  (Read 4264 times)
Rob

View Profile Email
« on: September 15, 2007, 09:04:40 pm »

Hi.
From the documentation I've read, Crystal Space (along with CEL, Blender, and Python) looks like a great platform for creating a fantasy world walkthrough (possibly with some game elements). I'm having trouble getting everything up and running, though, and I'm hoping some of the more experienced users could guide me through the process.

I'm using a Windows Professional XP, Service pack 2 on a Dell Dimension 8300, Pentium IV; 2.6 GHz, with 1GB RAM and an nVidia GeoForce 5200 video card.
I've installed Python 2.5.1 and Blender 2.45RC2 and have them running properly together.
I've also installed Cygwin and can openit to a Bash prompt (if that's the right terminology)
And I've installed the cs-win32libs package in the Crystal space Folder
and PIL - 1.1.6win32-Py2.5; pywin32; and PyXML in the Python2.5 Folder

As for starting Crystal Space itself, I've downloaded CrystalSpace-src1.2rc2 and cel-src1.2rc2, but I'm not sure what to do from there.
There's a 3KB File named "Install" in the Crystal Space Folder, but it comes up as an unrecognized file on my system, so I'm not sure how to install Crystal Space. (Also not sure how to install CEL)

Thanks for any guidance,
Rob

wrwrwr

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 03:57:33 am »

Install should be a text file containing installation instructions Smiley

There's a little tutorial on compiling with CygWin, it's here:
http://www.umwelt-tipps.org/docs/online/manual/Cygwin.php?action=showadd

Basically you should navigate to source directory under cygwin (use "cd" to change directories) and type: "./configure" and then: "make" or "make -k all" to ignore errors.

Before that you may want to install some more packages for cygwin, e.g. swig if you want python bindings.
Just look what configure tells you (even more is written to config.log).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 04:07:07 am by wrwrwr » Logged
Rob

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 04:48:28 am »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried to follow the CygWin tutorial, but am still having a hard time, and I downloaded and installed SWIG (don't know how to tie SWIG in with the other programs though)

I opened the Crystal Space Install file as a text document, and it says CygWin users should naviagate to CS\mk\msvc7 or msvc71 or msvc8 depending on their version of MSCV and open the wkstypical.sln solution file.
1) How do I know which of these three msvc files to use?
2) And when I try to open wkstypical.sln, my Windows system doesn't recognize it.   Do I need to do this through CygWin at the bash prompt, and if so, how exactly do I do this"

Sorry if these are basic questions, but a bunch of this is new to me.

Thanks,
Rob
wrwrwr

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 07:00:37 pm »

You'll probably need swig under cygwin not a windows install. It will be automatically used by jam (make). But skip it for now as it's not necessary for a basic compilation.

You're compiling under cygwin, so msvc is a completely different story.

1. Unpack sources to some simple directory, let's say c:/cs/ (make sure there are some files there, most importantly:
configure, Makefile and some jam files).

2. Open cygwin/bash window and type at prompt:
cd c:/cs/
./configure
make

3. Try typing ./walktest to see if it's working.
Rob

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 05:05:30 am »

Still not working.

I unziipped my crystal space files into f:\cs, so the path I think I'm supposed to use is:  f:\cs\crystalspace-src.1.2rc2\   

When I go to the cygwin bash prompt and type:
cd f:\cs\crystalspace-src.1.2rc2\ and hit enter, cygwin gives me a new >prompt (as opposed to a bash-3.2$ prompt),
but when I type ./configure after that, it gives me this message:
"bash: cd f:/cs/crystalspace-src-1.2rc2.configure: No such file or directory.

(Note: I didn't see "Makefile" inside crystalspace-src.1.2rc2, I find folders labeled apps; bin; data;docs; include; libs;mk;plugins; and scripts, along with files .ce;;_diff.swp; cel_diff; configure; configure.ac; INSTALL;Jamfile.in; Jamrules; LICENSE; README; and vsf.cfg)

Any advice on what to try next?

Thanks, Rob

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 05:07:01 am by Rob » Logged
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 08:58:10 am »

I don't know cygwin but I think you have to use unix style paths. So not with f:. On msys you would have to use /f/bla/bla instead of f:\bla\bla.

Greetings,
Rob

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 02:13:54 pm »

Thanks to WRWRWR and Jorrit for staying with me . . .

I haven't been able to get past this sticking point yet.
I tried the format with the forward slashes and no ":" but Cygwin didn't recognize the command.
As best I can tell, cd f:\cs\crystalspace-src.1.2rc2\ is the correct format, because that takes me from a Bash promt to a regular < prompt.  The problem seems to be the next line  ./configure which keeps telling me so such file or directory exists.

Is there anything I need to do through Crystal Space before running cygwin?
WRWRWR said: Unpack sources to some simple directory, let's say c:/cs/ (make sure there are some files there, most importantly:
configure, Makefile and some jam files).

And as I mentioned earlier, I don't see any "Makefile" folder or file in the crystalspace-src.1.2rc2 folder.

Thanks, Rob
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 05:07:04 pm by Rob » Logged
wrwrwr

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 02:49:25 pm »

Cygwin should recognize both slashes and backslashes, as well as windows drives (c: e: etc.). But i'm not sure if it's still true -- haven't used it for quite a while.

You're  still in the wrong directory. After cd the prompt shouldn't change. Try using "cd /cygdrive/f/cs/crystalspace-src.1.2rc2"
Maybe your f drive doesn't get mounted? You can check this with typing "mount " and looking for some line with "f:".
Maybe the long directory confuses cygwin? Try moving everything from crystalspace-src.1.2rc2 to just cs.
You can type "ls" to list the contents of the current directory -- you should see all the cs files

Here you can find some introduction on using cygwin:
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#id4728452

Also you may try with MinGW/MSYS. Theoretically it's supposed to be harder but I've compiled CS with it a couple of days ago without any trouble.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:51:11 pm by wrwrwr » Logged
wrwrwr

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 04:54:02 pm »

Ah, i see now, sorry my bad. You can't use "\" at the end of a command it means you'd like to type another line. Just omit it.
Rob

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 01:47:10 pm »

Hey wrwrwr,

Thanks for all the help.
I still haven't been able to get things working though.
I moved all the Crystal Space folders into c: cs as you suggested.
Starting at the the bash prompt (bash-3.2$) I typed "cd c:cs".
That gives me a new bach prompt,  When I type "./configure" I now get the following message:
"bash: ./configure: /bin/sh" bad interpreter: No such file or directory.

1) Is there anything I need to do with my Crystal Space download before trying to compile it with Cygwin?  Do I need to open anything or provide some path to it?

2) I tried using "ls" at the bash prompt to see the files in the cs folder but I get "command not found"
Is there anything I need to do with Cygwin to get it functioning properly? (like provide a path or set some environmental under MyComputer?

Thanks, Rob
wrwrwr

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 04:24:35 pm »

Skip only the last one:
cd c:/cs
or c:\cs
or cd /c/cs
or cd /cygdrive/c/cs Smiley

ls (like list) should be available, maybe there's something wrong with your cygwin installation?

I believe setting environment variables is only needed before compiling CEL (the CRYSTAL variable set) and when using blender2crystal (CRYSTAL and CEL set).
Rob

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 12:58:06 am »

If I point to the CS folder with cd c:\cs
I get a new bash prompt, and by typing "dirs" at this, Cygwin gives me  "/cygdrive/c/cs"  (which I assume means I've successfully changed the directory to CS.
But when I type ./configure  next, I still get
"bash: ./configure: bin/sh? bad interpreter: No such file or directory

1) my prompt says bash-3.2$ Any chance this is a different version of cygwin than people have used?  If so, is ./configure still what I'm supposed to type next?

I've read the documentation at crystal space (including the part about cygwin), and it's just not working.
I'd hate to give up on this platform before even getting started, but it feels like I'm going around in circles.

Does the "bad interpreter" message offer any clues? 
Do I need to install any programs along with Cygwin to get things working right?
Is there a simpler way to get Crystal Space and CEL up and running?  I downloaded the free version of Visual Studio C++ if anyone knows how to do it that way. 

Also, could I be missing some painfluly simple step that we were supposed to make at the beginning.  All I did was download crystal space and unzip it into the c: cs folder.  Is there any setup or .exe file I'm supposed to run first?

Thanks to wrwrwr for all the help, and to anyone else who can help me get this running!
Rob
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 01:03:49 am by Rob » Logged
Rob

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 04:41:17 am »

I did some more reading about UNIX and Cygwin, and realized my installation of Cygwin had something wrong with it (as WRWRWR may have suggested on an earlier post I think)

After reinstalling cygwin, I now have access to the rcygwin commands (ls; ./configure) so i'll play around with it for a while and see if I can get things working.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 08:00:53 pm »

Everything up and working now. 
Thanks to those who helped!

Rob
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: