Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 03:09:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2046 Topics by 9094 Members
Latest Member: Olafzjez
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  New to this
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New to this  (Read 3056 times)

View Profile Email
« on: November 08, 2007, 03:18:56 am »

Hello... i feel a bit stupid introducing myself in the help forum, but I'm going to need alot of help, so...
Anyways, i have a bit of an issue. I've got no clue how to get started... I've installed blender, crystal2space addon, celstart, etc.
However, this is my first real swing at 3d development... Could anyone please direct me at a tutorial or manual to get started?
A couple of issues i ran into while trying out the software:
Many of the terms were new, me having developed in 2d for a very long time.   
The controls appear to be gibberish to me.
And my skills in c++, python, lua, xml, java, html, and various others are noobish at best. I understand the base concepts behind most...
But if someone would help me out, please, i would greatly appreciate it. Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section, but the title looked so friendly ^^.
    ~nik

Update: ok, guess I'm not a complete idiot, as i managed to make something work ~wipes sweat off forehead~
I took a screenshot of a render... A screenshot
Still can't get it to be anything playable though... when i tryed to use the addons run feature, it got ugly Sad
Darek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 09:58:02 am »

you need to choose your way - c++ or scripting, pure CS or CS+CEL, low level/high level coding, or just click and play in b2cs.
you can find many tutorials in docs/html/manual, at www.crystalspace3d.org and b2cs.delcorp.org
maharaja

t.javed@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 03:14:35 am »

hi, I was myself in similar situation when I started with CS, so nothing to worry about Smiley

The most important thing to understand is that Crystal Space is not a "gamiing engine". It's an SDK. A library that provides you a lot of ready-made ways to start writing 3d applications, so it saves a lot of time.

However, to actually start making a 3d application of any kind, it would be best to start with learning 3d design concepts.
You can learn some of the concepts from the crystal space manual, but it is not really intended for this purpose.

Assuming you are a biggener to 3D, I would suggest the best way would be to get a good openGL or directX book and take some time to read it through.

While there are many books to choose from, a very good biggener level book is "DirectX9 Graphics The Definitive Guide to Direct3D". (www.wordware.com)

The fact that its about directX does not make any difference as it explains the 3d design and programming concepts in the most user-friendly way I have ever seen.
Otherwise just use google and find some 3d tutorials Smiley

Afterwards, read the CS manual and you will be writing games in no time.

/cheers!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:43:15 pm »

Thanks, sorry i didn't reply for such a long time Sad (Whispers: i was grounded >>)
@darek: I've jumped back and forth between scripting with something pre-made and compiling my own for quite some time, but my main concern is learning a programming "language" that lets you go into all the details. c++ seemed right to me... but i can't find any tuts to get me started... know any good ones?
   ~thanks in advance: scratchy
bookeater2

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 04:23:55 pm »

I wouldn't reccomend a tutorial at all,
one place I learned c++ was a book called Thinking in C++, 2nd ed. Volume 1
 by Bruce Eckel.
also find C++ the complete reference by Herbert Shildt. Both were available to download when I looked for them.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 08:32:06 pm »

Thanks o.o
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: