Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 10:49:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8990 Posts in 2037 Topics by 7598 Members
Latest Member: Tarafigueroa
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Projects
| |-+  WIP Projects
| | |-+  Skyscraper Project
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Skyscraper Project  (Read 5932 times)
eventhorizon5

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2005, 12:07:16 am »

I just recently started rewriting Skyscraper to C++ with CrystalSpace, and am also trying to use the wxWidgets library in it (but the winmain functions of each conflict, including the window generation).  Skyscraper 1.0 was written in VB6 and used the TrueVision3D engine, and a VB rewrite was originally started last year, but was abandoned in favor of this C++ version (1.0 had very sloppy monolithic code, but 1.1 is supposed to be very clean and highly abstracted, for the purpose of separating the simulation engine into a backend library).  If you don't know what the program is, it's a building simulator, and will eventually be fully featured, with even capabilities to load custom buildings from data files.  FPS single and multiplayer features are planned, and lots more.

Mainly I'm just learning CrystalSpace, and also I'm learning more of the areas of C++ that I wasn't comfortable with before.

http://www.tliquest.net/skyscraper
To get a good idea of where the project is headed, read the 2.0 Prospectus on the site Smiley

Local CVS repository (Sourceforge CVS is also used):
http://www.tliquest.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi

Screenshot of version 1.0 (more on the site - and the FPS count is low on there because it's running on my laptop's crappy video chipset haha):

-eventhorizon
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 12:26:17 pm »

Nice Project! Looking forward to seeing more smiley

Greetings,
dirkk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 03:27:33 pm »

Very cool project!
InternetNightmare

View Profile
:)
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 07:59:34 pm »

Nice Smiley
Keen
Webmaster
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 08:39:59 am »

Looks promising =D

13 FPS is pretty small for showing so little =P

Keen

Stop emailing me with scary CS questions! Direct your emails to jorrit or thebolt!

For Crystal Space Tutorials, articles and other stuff, visit community.crystalspace3d.org
eventhorizon5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 02:21:16 am »

If anyone wants to help out, just email me (I'm currently having issues with getting Crystal Space to work properly haha; mainly because I'm migrating over from TrueVision3D).
email: ryan@tliquest.net

Here's my 2.0 Prospectus from the website, which outlines what I've planned for the rewrite. Also wxWidgets has been dropped and I'll eventually use QT4 for external stuff:

------------------
Skyscraper Prospectus
Ryan Thoryk, 5/29/05

The Skyscraper Project originally began with the simplistic design of a 138-story skyscraper called the Triton Center that I completed on May 4, 2002, using the MyHouse for Windows 6.5 architectural designer application. Later that year I started tinkering with the TrueVision3D graphics engine through Visual Basic 6, and made a small building with a simple but working elevator. This became Skyscraper versions 0.1 and 0.2. I then continued to enhance it, and decided to try to simulate the entire Triton Center. I eventually finished the entire external structure of the building, and still had only 1 elevator. A single shaft bank was made, which housed 10 elevators (5 on each side), and then I eventually duplicated it to increase the number of elevators to 40, divided into 4 shaft banks. All the other parts of the program were made and enhanced, and I started to hit limitations that were not only in my program design, but also in the Visual Basic language itself. So after version 0.96 I forked the code and started redesigning the core of the program, but it became too unstable and needed a great deal of work (this was originally going to be version 0.97); so I took 0.96, fixed it up, and released it as 1.0. I renamed 0.97 to 1.1 alpha, which is the current development project. I rewrote somewhere around 25% of Skyscraper, and then after long periods of other stuff going on in my life, I decided to stop the VB rewrite and start porting the entire program over to C++ (I considered the C# and Java languages before choosing C++). The new C++ version is now at the beginning stages, and I am mainly brushing up on my C++ knowledge before continuing development.

Scalability and expandability factors were considered as early as summer 2003, but were postponed until later (and they’re now part of the design plans of the C++ version). In 2003 many people were complaining about how Skyscraper only simulated a single building, and couldn’t allow people to design others. I explained to them that Skyscraper was still in an early stage, and that the ability to load other buildings as data files is nowhere near easy. Many people also were practically drooling over the thought of having multiplayer deathmatch support in the program, but I explained that I needed to finish more of the main simulation before I start working on multiplayer features. For a while I also had the idea of creating a building designer applet inside the program, which would allow the user to create their own building and save it into a data file, which could then be loaded by the simulation. The original ideas called for a simplistic CAD-like interface that would allow the person to visually create what I had manually coded. I expanded on that idea recently by planning a single player portion of the simulation engine, which would allow the user to create the building during the simulation, and would make it operate very similar to both Sim Tower and Yoot Tower (sequel). All of these ideas will require a massive amount of coding, and so a team of developers would greatly help out.

Skyscraper version 2.0 (of which 1.1 alpha is part of) calls for a highly realistic, real-time, 3D first person simulation of buildings loaded via data files. It also calls for a building designer application that will allow users to create their own buildings and simulate them, single-player elements similar to Sim Tower and Yoot Tower, and multi-player elements such as deathmatch or capture-the-flag scenarios. Everything possible will be simulated, including all the regular parts of buildings (rooms, elevators, stairs, etc), but also crawlspaces, air ducts, elevator shafts, elevator escape hatches, breakable windows, pipe shafts, and lots more. The Visual Basic version of 1.1 alpha currently has an abstraction layer for the 3rd party 3D graphics engine, so that the current one (TrueVision3D) can be replaced by another (CrystalSpace 3D) with very little effort. The entire building simulation system will be contained in a series of DLL files, and is currently called the Scalable Building Simulator, or SBS. The program’s application file (EXE file) will only be the graphical front-end for SBS; everything else will be either handled internally by SBS or by other DLL libraries that would use the SBS API. This way, the program becomes an actual backend simulation engine that can be linked with other applications. It will use the wxWidgets library as the GUI toolkit, thus eventually allowing it to be seamlessly multiplatform (for Windows, MacOS, Linux, BSD, Solaris, IRIX, etc).
------------------

-eventhorizon

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: