Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:33:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9010 Posts in 2044 Topics by 8788 Members
Latest Member: Williamgodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Not portal engine using CS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Not portal engine using CS  (Read 2713 times)
Kais

Email
« on: July 07, 2005, 10:52:58 pm »

Tell me please.
I develop game engine using large, open-air areas. Can I use CS or it is better to search somewhere else.

Thanks
Keen
Webmaster
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 10:43:20 am »

Well the reason for the use of portals instead of open air maps is to increase efficiency. You'd find even in the best of commercial games that maps are not always in whole but split into chunks.

But if you mean terrain, there are terrain tests in CS that shows a large portal-less area (though I cannot recall how to use them right now). I think the celtest might be portal-less too.

Keen

Stop emailing me with scary CS questions! Direct your emails to jorrit or thebolt!

For Crystal Space Tutorials, articles and other stuff, visit community.crystalspace3d.org
dominic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 12:09:12 pm »

If you want to use only outside scenes, you may consider using an other form of scene manager, like OCTree.  You could use Ogre3D for this.  http://www.ogre3d.org/
If you want to use both outside and inside scences, you may take a look at Irrlicht.  It support for both in the same map, but it is still in version 0.11.0.  http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 06:54:06 pm »

Just to make this clear.. Nothing in CS prevents you from not using portals and it will be efficient for outdoors too (and to mix).
For examples of this, look at PlaneShift for example.

-M
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: