Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 01:15:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9011 Posts in 2044 Topics by 8828 Members
Latest Member: Saikjanna
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Associate Projects
| |-+  CEL Discussion
| | |-+  Interest In AI Plugins?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Interest In AI Plugins?  (Read 3020 times)
Samd

View Profile Email
« on: March 14, 2009, 12:19:15 pm »

Hey CEL-Fans and Developers,
I am interested in writing some AI plugins for CEL, but would like to gauge the interest in such development. This is something I intend to pursue alone, but thought if I am going to make it anyway I should make it in a form that would be useful to the community as a whole. Currently it seems to me that CEL only includes neural networks, is this correct? Are there any other AI plugins that I have missed?

Neural networks are great at generalising problems, but they are often weaker then specific algorithms for the problems encountered. For example a neural network can be trained to perform path finding, but A* will reliably produce more optimal solutions. Therefore I propose that to begin with I would like to work on:

- A*
- Steering
- Finite State Machine

Each of these can be basic tools can be combined to form some complex and interesting AIs. They are also tools I am led to believe are currently used a lot in industry. I do have intentions to extend each, once the basic implementation is complete. Specifically I would like to expand the basic A* to a hierarchial A* algorithm that has been proven to be more appropriate in game environments and I would like to eventually move beyond the finite state machine to the more expressive behaviour trees.

So my questions are:

1) Is there community interest in these features becoming available?
2) Does anyone have any suggestions for other AI plugins they would like?
3) Can Jorrit or anyone else involved please explain why the GSoC 2007 AI project never made it into the CEL source?

Thank you for your time,
Sam
Vincent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 08:10:55 pm »

1) Is there community interest in these features becoming available?
2) Does anyone have any suggestions for other AI plugins they would like?
3) Can Jorrit or anyone else involved please explain why the GSoC 2007 AI project never made it into the CEL source?

Quite a bit late to answer, but well, for the records...
I won't answer 1 & 2 since you've been selected for GSoC 2009 AI project smiley
For interested people, also check the  CEL mailing list archives.
For 3, well, the GSoC 2007 was merged in CEL trunk.
If you meant GSoC 2008, there simply was about nothing to merge, the guy disappeared and the project failed sad
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: