Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 05:16:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9010 Posts in 2044 Topics by 8792 Members
Latest Member: Lukerjbgv
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  3D GameStudio
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 3D GameStudio  (Read 5073 times)
Hymenoptera

View Profile Email
« on: July 12, 2005, 03:58:35 am »

I've been a game studio developer for a few years, and I'm just getting into Crystal Space.  Crystal Space appears to be much more powerful, but definately more mysterious...

Is anyone familiar with 3d Game Studio (A6) who can outline advantages/disadvantages of each engine?

I am going to be working on a multiplayer/cooperative virtual environment and want to make sure I make the right choice;!
DaHoC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 11:39:22 am »

Hi,
I have created a small game using the predecessor of that engine a while ago (that hasn't changed much since from GS 3D to GS A6) and I very soon got to the limits of the Game Studio (e.g. massive multistorey effect-loaded areas were not possible!). The Game Studio is definitely easier to use than Crystal Space, but with CS, you have nearly unlimited possibilities. It sure is a bit hard to get into the matter, but I think it's worth it. CS is very active atm (documentation rewrite, CrystalBlend,...) and has a great future I think. The choice is up to you (and it also depends on what you are willing to do). There is no networking standard provided by CS atm, but there is one other advantage: In Game Studio A6, you have to pay to get the save/load games support if I remember correcly. CS is totally free.
For engine features comparison, there is a page in the faqs: http://www.crystalspace3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-view_faq.php?faqId=5
Hope I could help, GoodLuck
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 11:48:05 am by DaHoC » Logged
Keen
Webmaster
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 08:51:43 am »

3D Game Studio is ALOT easier (in my opinion =P).

3DGS is aimed for the beginner coder (if I remember correctly, you don't need code to create games) and onwards. While CS is aimed more towards more experienced C++ coders (of course the determined inexperienced beginner can still learn =D).

Well you could say CrystalSpace is lower level comparitively, like C++ and Python... =)

Keen

Stop emailing me with scary CS questions! Direct your emails to jorrit or thebolt!

For Crystal Space Tutorials, articles and other stuff, visit community.crystalspace3d.org
Hymenoptera

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 03:56:37 am »

interesting, thanks.

another issue that i am wondering about is once a Crystal Space project is complete and ready to be distributed, would one need to use an installer maker program such as NSIS ?

3D GameStudio is fairly easy to tie things together for easy installation on other people's systems--

I am concerned that if all end users of a crystal space game are required to set it up in the lengthy manner I had to, it just won't fly for the neo-luddites.

any thoughts?

Keen
Webmaster
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 04:29:12 am »

I'm not sure I get you correctly... are you asking if CrystalSpace has an inbuilt Install maker for when CS apps are completed?

If so, then no, CrystalSpace doesn't have one, and yeah you have to use NSIS Smiley

The end users shouldn't have a problem with using a distributed CrystalSpace game, as long as you have the required libraries and other resources along with it (like planeshift).

Keen

Stop emailing me with scary CS questions! Direct your emails to jorrit or thebolt!

For Crystal Space Tutorials, articles and other stuff, visit community.crystalspace3d.org
morgul

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 08:14:03 pm »

Hymenoptera, check out my game, (ghttp:gne.g33xnexus.com/precursors). We only have an alpha release on the site right now, however, the windows version comes complete with an installer (NSIS). It was really easy to set up, and as you can see, the end user doesn't need to do anythihng, but run the installer. it's a good example of what it takes to distribute a CS game.

--morgul
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: