Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 01:50:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9010 Posts in 2044 Topics by 8792 Members
Latest Member: Lukerjbgv
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Viewmesh app can't seem to show mesh groups...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Viewmesh app can't seem to show mesh groups...  (Read 915 times)
dirkmitt

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2010, 04:12:38 am »

One concept which exists widely in 3D modeling, is that a single model consists of more than one mesh. However, I've been experimenting with .3DS and .OBJ and .COB model files imported into Blender, which Blender displays correctly, and which originally consisted of more than one mesh. And even though I seem to be able to force blender2crystal to export them into "world.zip", I don't seem to be able to get Viewmesh to show them, 'as if within a CS level'.

So, to try to determine whether blender2crystal is at fault, or rather the simple Viewmesh CS application, I've also done some trials with just creating a cube, and then a sphere with Blender itself, and getting both to show. Surely enough, either the cube or the sphere show, but never both.

I think that it would seem a bit futile, to try to design and entire game level in this way. So I think that either one out of two solutions must exist:

1)    There should be some way to get 'blender2crystal 0.6+0.7rc8' to display the model outside of Crystal Space, that is within a Blender window, or

2)    I must be making some kind of real noob error in how I use Blender, group meshes, and/or select objects.

Could somebody please tell me what the correct solution is?

Dirk

[Edit]    There aren't any error messages.

[Edit]    I've tried just selecting two objects at once, before going into the blender2crystal plugin, but this doesn't solve the problem. And, to activate the "selection" button doesn't either.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:44:10 pm by dirkmitt » Logged

Crystal Space 1.4.0
Linux Kernel 2.6.24, Debian/Etch (Kanotix Thorhammer), 32 bit
OpenGL 2.1.2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Driver 177.13
Driver reliability typically excellent
g++4.1, glibc 2.2 - No present compile issues with CS
Python 2.4.4 !
Blender 2.48
jwir3
Administrator

6420596 scottj@cs.umn.edu
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 07:15:44 pm »

Well, someone else might be able to answer with a bit more certainty, but I believe that viewmesh is for just that: viewing a single mesh.  So, it doesn't seem like an error that it's not showing multiple meshes in a world file.  If you want to show all of the meshes in a world file, it seems more reasonable to utilize walktest, which is more of a world-viewing application.  You'll have to turn the gravity off unless to have some type of 'floor', though otherwise, the viewer will just sink down infinitely, and you won't be able to view your scene. 
dirkmitt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:23:34 pm »

Well this is reassuring to hear.

But now, given the latest version of blender2crystal (0.6), if it insists on previewing the exported model with Viewmesh at first, isn't there some way to switch the UI to show the model within its own Blender panel instead? Because on some documentation page, I've seen a more advanced user interface from it. And I don't seem to find that UI within my blender2crystal exporter.

Dirk

(Edit)    Please let me rephrase the question. Based on these installed modules, according to the screenshot...

...would I have enough prerequisites installed, for blender2crystal 0.6 to show me 'the new GUI', rather than 'the old GUI'? Is there even a new GUI?
Because at this Web site, ?a new GUI? is being displayed:

http://leapingcat.org/blender2crystal/index.php/Main_Page
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:54:37 pm by dirkmitt » Logged

Crystal Space 1.4.0
Python 2.4.4 !
Blender 2.48
dirkmitt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:41:16 pm »

(Bump)

By now I've come to suspect, that the feature simply requires a higher Blender version, to show overlay controls from within the Python script. But, this did not discourage me from creating an icon on my desktop, which does about the same thing as what I was looking for.

Because I did not find any 'vfs.cfg' files (on my system), it's quite possible that there may not yet be any with my present configuration of CS. Thus, I placed a symlink into '/usr/local/share/crystalspace-1.4/data/maps', which CS recognizes by default, for use with 'walktest'. This symlink points directly to '/tmp/world.zip', and 'walktest' has no issues with opening the symlink.

Next, I put a shell script on my desktop as follows:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

#  Hit the '8' key to disable gravity!

#  Tests Crystal Space world.zip file exported by
#  Blender using blender2crystal

cd /usr/local/share/crystalspace-1.4/data/maps
walktest -nocolldet -relight world.zip

#  Symlink must exist in that folder

And 'walktest' even creates its cache file within 'world.zip' !
Problem solved - I can just minimize Blender, and click on this KDE desktop icon.

Dirk

P.S.    I've even gotten the hang of moving vertically within 'walktest'. I can move upward with the Space bar, and downward at any time, simply by toggling the number key '8' briefly. I've also disabled collision detection, for a fly-through type effect.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:15:30 am by dirkmitt » Logged

Crystal Space 1.4.0
Python 2.4.4 !
Blender 2.48
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: