Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 11:48:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9032 Posts in 2046 Topics by 9306 Members
Latest Member: Marjoriechapp
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Game Content Creation
| | |-+  General Mesh-Related Questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: General Mesh-Related Questions  (Read 3731 times)
yoshi

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2005, 08:17:39 am »

I'm rather new to CS, 3D modeling, game-creating, etc. so I still have some pretty big questions that keep me up at night, especially when it comes to meshes.  If anyone can answer or offer advice on any of my questions, then that'd be wonderful.

1. Ok, first of all, I intend to use Cal3D for the models and I know it uses bones.  In the CS manual, I discovered that CS also supports morph animation, which I intend to use for some simple facial animation.  I was wondering: is it possible to combine different types of animation on a single mesh?  What I mean is... suppose I create a walking animation with my model using bones.  Then, on the same model, I create a smiling animation using morph targets.  When I load the model into meshviewer, is it possible to make my model walk AND smile at the same time?  (This is all assuming the mesh is NOT divided into separate parts, such as head, upper body, arms, lower body, legs, etc.)

2. On a related note, I was wondering... is it possible to make the head of my model move around dynamically?  Like, in Final Fantasy 9, when you walked around town, Zidane would move his head to look at another character until he got far enough away - at which point, his head would return to looking straight ahead of him.  Is this possible without making the head a separate mesh object?  If not, how would you avoid the crease that would show between the head and neck?

3.  Can physics be applied to only certain parts of a single, connected mesh?  For example, if one of my models is wearing a skirt, and the skirt is welded to the rest of the body so that it is part of the model, can I somehow tell the physics engine only to affect the skirt?  Or would I have to make the skirt a separate object?

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance.
dingobloo
Idle Extrordinare.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 09:39:05 am »

My limited understanding of CAL3d may be of little help here, but i'll do my best.

1: Cal3d allows the ability to only export the bones used in the animation (with some fiddling) you're able to get this effect without seperate meshes

2: Cal3d does allow for this (manipulating single bones in code) and I have heard of such a head-following example but have not actually seen it (if i remember correctly, it's refered to in the cal3d documentation)

3 I know of few realtime physics engines that actually do such cloth physics. But even if that is the case, you still must use a seperate object for that scenario (I dont really know what you have AGAINST using seperate meshes though).

hope that helps.
yoshi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 06:09:28 pm »

Thanks for the reply!

Ok, just to clarify, you're saying that... Cal3d only uses bones, but with some work, I could combine facial morph animations with bone animation such that the two different animations can be run simultaneously.  (i.e. showing a smiling animation [which would use morph targets] WHILE the model is walking [which would use bones] all in one, connected mesh).

As for my second question, thanks for the advice; I shall look up the cal3d documentation for info on this.

For my third question... I'm reluctant to use separate meshes because I'm afraid that doing so would produce a crease in a place where there shouldn't be one.  The skirt is a bad example, but what about a one-piece evening dress (or whatever they're called).  I only want the part of the dress from the waist down to be affected by physics, while the top part would remain completely static.  But the dress is still one, connected mesh.  If I made the bottom half a separate mesh, wouldn't there be a crease where the top half and bottom half of the dress meet?  That's what I'm afraid of.

edit: Does ODE/CS's physics engine do cloth sim?

Anyway, much thanks for your help so far!
dingobloo
Idle Extrordinare.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 09:19:15 am »

To my knowledge ODE does not do cloth sims, i'm not sure much about ODE in terms of spring systems (usually used for cloth sims) i think there are some very simple examples of this in Cal3d but from what i last heard,  it lacked collision detection.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: