Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 05:26:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9018 Posts in 2051 Topics by 8485 Members
Latest Member: Theashikii39
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  A few questions before I start
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A few questions before I start  (Read 2894 times)
Ben

Email
« on: August 27, 2005, 04:31:39 am »

Hey!

I've got a few quick questions:

1) Is it possible to make your games into a standalone EXE file (like... so I can put it up for download and someone can just run it without Crystal blend?)

2) How hard/easy is it to make a game in crystal blend. I was thinking of a 3rd person sword fighting game (pretty basic, simular to Dark Forces II lightsaber combat, 2 different swings pretty much)

3) Is it possible to have a bunch of levels with AI? What about cutscenes? Do they have to be prerendered or can I just trigger animations to play in-game?

Im an old JK2 and JKA mapper. They were Q3 based games, and I am learning blender. I am hoping to grab crystal blend and start a real game from scratch (almost... anyways)

Thanks

Ben

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 04:33:42 am »

opps.. sorry about the 1st question, I got confused. I didn't mean to type "crystal blend", I meant to say "crystal space"

I got confused because I was looking at both projects... lol.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 05:14:39 am »

Hey!

I've got a few quick questions:

1) Is it possible to make your games into a standalone EXE file (like... so I can put it up for download and someone can just run it without Crystal blend?)

Yes. Easiest is to just include the dll's from CS with your app. Static linking is also possible.

2) How hard/easy is it to make a game in crystal blend. I was thinking of a 3rd person sword fighting game (pretty basic, simular to Dark Forces II lightsaber combat, 2 different swings pretty much)

Making a game is always some work. With Crystal Space you at least don't have to worry about 3D rendering. If you also use CEL in addition to CS it becomes even easier as some of the game logic can be handled by CEL.

3) Is it possible to have a bunch of levels with AI? What about cutscenes? Do they have to be prerendered or can I just trigger animations to play in-game?

CS doesn't handle AI. That's up to you to implement. Cutscenes can be done with the engine or with movies. Up to you. But the engine can be controlled to do predefined animations.

Im an old JK2 and JKA mapper. They were Q3 based games, and I am learning blender. I am hoping to grab crystal blend and start a real game from scratch (almost... anyways)

Thanks

Greetings,
Ben

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 02:21:27 pm »

I guess there might some kinda trick to doing AI... there always is a work around, even if the AI is really basic.

Thanks for the answeres Cheesy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: