Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 06:33:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8990 Posts in 2037 Topics by 7626 Members
Latest Member: Danielmarini
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  noob questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: noob questions  (Read 3019 times)
kneeride75

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2005, 03:08:53 pm »

noob here. sorry if questions seem obvious but im getting lost in all the information.

where can i find a quick start tutorial. ie get the engine compiled and running?

a beginner tute for using the engine

where can i find a small app that uses the engine, has a basic map, some basic characters and allows me to move the characters around. ie should i use crystal core or planeshift? or are these too advanced for starting

also, which forums should i use. this one or the one on sourceforge?

thanks

jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 03:17:02 pm »

noob here. sorry if questions seem obvious but im getting lost in all the information.

where can i find a quick start tutorial. ie get the engine compiled and running?

a beginner tute for using the engine

where can i find a small app that uses the engine, has a basic map, some basic characters and allows me to move the characters around. ie should i use crystal core or planeshift? or are these too advanced for starting

also, which forums should i use. this one or the one on sourceforge?

thanks

Did you check the manual? Perhaps you should consider checking out the CEL tutorial on the Crystal Space page (in the CEL section). It is pretty easy to understand but it also uses CEL in addition to CS.

Greetings,
kneeride75

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 03:25:58 pm »

im thinking of avoiding CEL for now. not sure how good the support is.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 03:31:58 pm »

im thinking of avoiding CEL for now. not sure how good the support is.

Exactly the same. I manage both projects. The advantage of CEL is that a lot of things are already done for you. i.e. movement of actor and camera handling. So it makes several things a lot easier.

Greetings,
kneeride75

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 03:40:46 pm »

roger. thanks. i think i will check it out

i'm searching around for engines at the moment. also looking at the value source engine (ie half life).  advantage of that is i should be able to compile a working game. + then do mods

however, i'm also a fan of open source Wink

>>Exactly the same
oh good. what i mean though is that i guess CS has a large user base. so probably more mature in development bug fixes etc
dingobloo
Idle Extrordinare.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 04:03:23 am »

It's strange that you want to look at those two, yet avoid using cel because they both use it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: