Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 03:53:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9009 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8372 Members
Latest Member: Berger4
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Associate Projects
| |-+  CEL Discussion
| | |-+  Sticking to position
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Sticking to position  (Read 7969 times)
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2005, 03:29:08 am »

Thanks for the reply.  How could you add lighting effects to make it look 3d?  I happened to be playing quake today and if you set the FOV to something really high, you see the object and arms stick out there but it has lighting effects as if it's 3d.  Is there somewhere I could look to learn how to use 2d sprites that stick in that position relative to the window rather than anything 3d?  Thanks.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 08:39:08 am »

Okay, think of a first person shooter game, like half-life, where the gun is positioned in the corner of the screen and stays there.  I want to achieve that.  Am I going about it the wrong way?  Could I do it orthagonally and keep the position 2d?  Basically, I am confused with all this and am trying to find ways that seem like they work. 

Thanks.

Hmm if you do it like that then why is there a main character model in the first place? Why not just make the weapon an independent mesh and not attempt to make it a child of the actor? That would be a lot easier.

Greetings,
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 03:14:07 am »

Are you saying I should make the weapon the mesh for the actormove?  That seems like a good idea, I really don't know why I didn't think of something like that.  However, in first person view, isn't the actor mesh invisible?  Do you have a way I could do this if I just deal with the weapon and nothing else?  Thanks.
PresBMK

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 03:30:03 am »

I'm still not too familiar with crystal space since I haven't actually gotten to develop much since no one has been able to help with my build problem(hint hint), but I would imagine that if the engine refuses to draw your player mesh what you could probably do is make your camera almost a 3rd person view... There really isn't any difference between first and third person if the 3rd person camera is right in the actor's head, if that makes sense to you.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 08:25:59 am »

Are you saying I should make the weapon the mesh for the actormove?  That seems like a good idea, I really don't know why I didn't think of something like that.  However, in first person view, isn't the actor mesh invisible?  Do you have a way I could do this if I just deal with the weapon and nothing else?  Thanks.

No. don't make the weapon the mesh for actormove. For the weapon (in first person view) you just need a model that is on the same spot (in camera coordinates) on screen all the time. So just make an independent model and update its transform to the camera transform (with some offset).

Greetings,
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2005, 11:47:49 pm »

What is the best way to get the transform of the camera and apply it to a mesh, including rotation and all that good stuff?  And are you saying that I should still keep the actormove, but have no mesh for it, and then update the independent model when the camera changes? 
Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: