Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 08:21:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9008 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8351 Members
Latest Member: Flinkot7
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  Some questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 2415 times)
EvilPickles

Email
« on: September 23, 2005, 01:21:57 pm »

Alright, I am just getting into programming and I have some questions. First, though, I would like to state that the game I want to create is going to be very big. And very complex and un-conventional. Now, the last forum I posted for help just cursed me out and was VERY negative. So please try not to bash ok?

Crystal space is a 3d engine only correct?

I have read here about some, physics plug in? Does that make my game conform to some physics I don't need? Not that I have downloaded it or want to or anything.

I am learning C programming, I assume a game programmed in C will run with a C++ 3d game engine, correct? Or must I retrain myself in C++?

This may be a dumb question, but if the game engine is buggy, will my game be buggy? Will it crash? Flicker, or do something malicious? Or will it just be graphical effects, like a shiney sphere not looking so shiny?

I am building my game off of completely GPL free programs. I currently, use a compiler called Dev C++ by bloodshed software, I assume this will compile Crystal space? Some things I have read on here about different compilers have me confused and skeptical.

All in all that's about it.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 01:34:04 pm »

Alright, I am just getting into programming and I have some questions. First, though, I would like to state that the game I want to create is going to be very big. And very complex and un-conventional. Now, the last forum I posted for help just cursed me out and was VERY negative. So please try not to bash ok?

Crystal space is a 3d engine only correct?

No. Crystal Space is a 3D framework. It is more then only a 3D engine as it also does sound, physics, and a lot of other stuff.

I have read here about some, physics plug in? Does that make my game conform to some physics I don't need? Not that I have downloaded it or want to or anything.

CS is very modular. If you don't want physics then you simply don't load the physics plugin. Same for sound and other stuff.

I am learning C programming, I assume a game programmed in C will run with a C++ 3d game engine, correct? Or must I retrain myself in C++?

You will need to know a bit of C++ as some things in CS require C++ to use. i.e. you'll have to make subclasses of some of the classes to use them. The required C++ knowledge is not extensive though.

This may be a dumb question, but if the game engine is buggy, will my game be buggy? Will it crash? Flicker, or do something malicious? Or will it just be graphical effects, like a shiney sphere not looking so shiny?

If there are bugs in CS then it is possible that they will cause your program to misbehave. But that's true for any package you use.

I am building my game off of completely GPL free programs. I currently, use a compiler called Dev C++ by bloodshed software, I assume this will compile Crystal space? Some things I have read on here about different compilers have me confused and skeptical.

All in all that's about it.

Dev C++ can currently not compile Crystal Space because we have no project files. However you can use Dev C++ to compile your own projects that are based on Crystal Space. There is a section in the manual that explains how to do that.

Greetings,
EvilPickles

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 01:41:19 pm »

Wow! Thanks for the help Smiley

EvilPickles

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 03:53:49 pm »

I've got some more questions:

Can crystal space handle a massive polygon count?

Does it have smoothing? So objects don't look square-ish? I read the features section and didn't see anything about smooothing. If it was there I missed it. The screenshots I see have no smoothing at all!

This physics plug in, is it manipulatable? I need some considerably advanced physics for what I want to do.

For instance, The game is a space sim, sort of. With enire 3d planets you can fly down to and walk around on. I'm not going into details. But the game needs above all: a good physics engine (gravity to a distance, that is, the planet will have gravity but it will go to the edge of the atmosphere. Ships will have just enough gravity to hold you against them, scenery, spawn points, vehicles, players, evrything, will have to rotate and move with this planet) high polygon tolerance for terrain, lots of scenery, weapons, vehicles, curvular objects, bipeds, trees, rocks, buildings, and a very high range of view (distance).

Is making your own physics engine, audio engine, hard?

If crystalspace cannot support these details well enough, I may go with a different engine. The engine in mind is strictly a graphics engine, and has no audio, or physics, etc. .

I know this sounds impossible. I don't know what to tell you except that I am determined to complete my game. Wink
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 07:36:24 pm »

I've got some more questions:

Can crystal space handle a massive polygon count?

That depends fully on the hardware and on several other factors. It is actually not polygon count that matters most these days but mostly the number of distinct 'objects'. Objects being defined as triangle meshes using same material.

Does it have smoothing? So objects don't look square-ish? I read the features section and didn't see anything about smooothing. If it was there I missed it. The screenshots I see have no smoothing at all!

Yes it has smoothing. That's a trivial feature.

This physics plug in, is it manipulatable? I need some considerably advanced physics for what I want to do.

CS uses ODE. So in principle CS can do what ODE can do. Not sure if ODE can do what you want smiley

For instance, The game is a space sim, sort of. With enire 3d planets you can fly down to and walk around on. I'm not going into details. But the game needs above all: a good physics engine (gravity to a distance, that is, the planet will have gravity but it will go to the edge of the atmosphere. Ships will have just enough gravity to hold you against them, scenery, spawn points, vehicles, players, evrything, will have to rotate and move with this planet) high polygon tolerance for terrain, lots of scenery, weapons, vehicles, curvular objects, bipeds, trees, rocks, buildings, and a very high range of view (distance).

Is making your own physics engine, audio engine, hard?

Not that hard no. CS has a very open API so it is relatively easy to extend it with your own physics engine or things like that.

Greetings,
EvilPickles

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 07:44:27 pm »

Awesomesauce. Awesomesauce with a side of Z. Or:

Zawesomesauce.

tehe Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: