Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 08:17:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9008 Posts in 2043 Topics by 8351 Members
Latest Member: Flinkot7
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Associate Projects
| |-+  CEL Discussion
| | |-+  Error running celtst
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Error running celtst  (Read 8902 times)
bgood

View Profile Email
« on: October 15, 2005, 08:50:48 am »

I have a linux 2.6.12 system; Fedora Core 3 with a custom compiled kernel. I'm running concurrent versions of CS and CEL; `pseudo-stable-2005-09-03'. the CEL and CRYSTAL aliases are working and I can `ls' from them. When I start celtst I get the message;

cel.persistence:  Error opening file 'basic_level.xml'!
celtest:  Error loading level 'basic_level.xml' at '/cellib/lev'!

The Crystal Space demos work fine.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 10:39:15 am »

I have a linux 2.6.12 system; Fedora Core 3 with a custom compiled kernel. I'm running concurrent versions of CS and CEL; `pseudo-stable-2005-09-03'. the CEL and CRYSTAL aliases are working and I can `ls' from them. When I start celtst I get the message;

cel.persistence:  Error opening file 'basic_level.xml'!
celtest:  Error loading level 'basic_level.xml' at '/cellib/lev'!

The Crystal Space demos work fine.

Did you install CS and CEL? If you did then that is probably the problem. There are still some install issues with CEL. Best is to run celtst directly from the place where you compiled CEL.

Greetings,
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 06:43:32 pm »

Hmm...That's odd, I have never had this problem and I often install CEL.  Then again, I don't use the persistance plugin yet from celInitializer.  The problem I have with celtst is that it never renders anything.  Perhaps lighting the level is taking a VERY VERY long time, but I get no feed back from the application. 
sunshine
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 09:16:15 am »

When CEL is installed, VFS doesn't know where to find CEL's vfs.cfg fragment file. (This is a limitation of VFS and the VFS API; it's not a limitation of CEL's installation process.)
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 06:52:33 pm »

I take back what I said about celtst, I believe I was mixing that with CrystalCore.
bob G.

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 09:41:24 pm »

When I run celtst from within the original cel complile directory it fails to find the cally files. Running vsh within the cel directory shows there isn't much in the VFS (and no cally.) All the appropriate files are in the data subdirectory and in the shared directory created during install so where is VFS looking? How do I get it to look in the right place; /usr/local/share/crystalspace, or /usr/local/share/cel? As for installing, the cel install required using `jam' so there is no `make install' command. Also, since cel is useless without CrystalSpace, wouldn't it be better to assume that CS is installed and therefor the cel data files should go into /usr/local/share/crystalspace instead of creating a separate VFS storage in /usr/local/share/cel.
sunshine
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 09:44:24 pm »

Is your CEL compile directory the same as the CEL source directory? (More specifically, is CEL's vfs.cfg in the directory from which you are running the program?)

To find out precisely what vfs.cfg fragment files VFS finds, run with the --verbose=vfs option.
bgood

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 10:11:00 pm »

Is your CEL compile directory the same as the CEL source directory? (More specifically, is CEL's vfs.cfg in the directory from which you are running the program?)

To find out precisely what vfs.cfg fragment files VFS finds, run with the --verbose=vfs option.
I compiled both CS and CEL in their source directories. The vfs.cfg is present in both.

I have now discovered that the CS apps won't run anymore. I don't think I've tried them again after installing cel so I expect it's something cel did to the vfs.cfg file. I get a real basic message;

Beginning test of AWS as a plugin...
Could not init app!
Error initializing system!

The awstest worked fine before installing cel.

I'm afraid I deleted the cel vfs.cfg file in a failed attempt to get the CS apps running again but basically the original `verbose' message just said it was loading the CS vfs.cfg and merging the cel vfs.cfg. It had the correct paths (the original source directories, not /usr/local/share) identified.
bgood

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 10:23:42 pm »

Aha! after comparing the vfs.cfg file in CS with the one in out/linux86/.... it appears that when cel installed, it overwrote the cfg file in the CS directory. So instead of getting a merge of the two, all the basic stuff defined by the CS cfg file was lost.
sunshine
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 11:05:36 pm »

Something sounds fishy. CEL should be installing into its own directory, not into the CS installation directory.
bgood

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 11:02:21 pm »

Actually cel appears to have created an `install' in /usr/local/share/cel. Beyond that I have no clue since I am totally unfamiliar with jam which is required to compile and install cel. I agree it sounds fishy but I can assure you I did not manipulate the vfs.cfg files other than deleting the one in cel because CS stopped working.

I fixed the problem with CS by copying the `build' vfs.cfg file to the top directory. I also downloaded celtestdemo.zip and tried that. I put a copy in the cel data directory which seems to be ok since fixing the CS vfs.cfg file. Didn't work. I get the message;

cel.persistence:  Error opening file 'level.xml'!
celtest:  Error loading level 'level.xml' at 'celtstdemo.zip'!

By saying the cel vfs seems to be ok; I copied vsh to the cel directory and ran it as ./vsh. It shows the CS created stuff and adds cellib/. All the subdirectories for cellib appear ok and celtestdemo.zip appears in cellib/lev/.
sunshine
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 01:37:41 pm »

Actually cel appears to have created an `install' in /usr/local/share/cel. Beyond that I have no clue since I am totally unfamiliar with jam which is required to compile and install cel. I agree it sounds fishy but I can assure you I did not manipulate the vfs.cfg files other than deleting the one in cel because CS stopped working.

When you use 'jam install' in the CEL directory, you should see it print out something like 'Copy /some/path/vfs.cfg'. It would be useful to know what /some/path is, in this case. It should tell you where it is being installed. You can also run jam with the -dx option to have it print out the actual commands it is invoking. I don't have the source code in front of me, but I would guess (if it parallels CS), that vfs.cfg would get installed at ${prefix}/etc/cel/vfs.cfg.

By saying the cel vfs seems to be ok; I copied vsh to the cel directory and ran it as ./vsh. It shows the CS created stuff and adds cellib/. All the subdirectories for cellib appear ok and celtestdemo.zip appears in cellib/lev/.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do here. If the vfs.cfg mounts are functioning properly, VFS should automatically be navigating into the .zip file itself. You shouldn't see the .zip as just another file in a VFS directory.
griminventions

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 02:54:13 am »

I'm getting the same thing. The CEL demos can't find the data directory, so none of them run.  I installed, and it put the vfs.cfg in /usr/local/etc/cel/.  There's another one in /user/local/etc/cs/.  This is on Mac OSX, btw, and my CS demos still work fine.
sunshine
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 03:42:09 pm »

As noted above, there is a shortcoming in VFS where it doesn't know how to find CEL's vfs.cfg fragment when installed. Presently, CEL programs which depend upon CEL's vfs.cfg will work correctly only when CEL's vfs.cfg is in the "current working directory".
griminventions

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2005, 08:28:43 pm »

In the case of the Mac version, I had to copy the data/ directory into the app bundle.  It worked after that.

I did notice it wasn't rendering the woman correctly, though. Maybe it's the sample code, but she didn't appear to respect any z-depth since she appeared "above" all the particle effects (otherwise it all looked normal).  Is this a known issue?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: