Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 05:22:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9014 Posts in 2047 Topics by 8447 Members
Latest Member: Msyexercarl0303
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  Support
| | |-+  viewmesh crash with a Cal3d model
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: viewmesh crash with a Cal3d model  (Read 7222 times)
intruder_xo

View Profile WWW
« on: March 26, 2005, 11:15:57 pm »

Hello folks,

Well I am trying to check a model we made in Blender then exported in Cal3d so it can be loaded in Crystal Space (0.98 stable release) but each time viewmesh crash with the following :

Assertion failed: blocks.firstfree == (csFreeList*)blocks.memory, file d:\
games\cs\include\csutil\blockallocator.h, line 187

I was thinking it was our model so I try one of the example from the cummunity site (testcube) and it does the same thing.

I am currently using Blender 2.36, Python 2.3.6, Blend2Cal3d (0.11) and Crystal Space 0.98 (the stable version)

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks for your collaboration in advance.
acraig

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 10:28:06 pm »

Is this when loading the model or on exit?  I've noticed this bug several times when I exit our app.
intruder_xo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 03:20:19 am »

Hello Craig,

No it is not on exit, it is on the loading of the models, as soon as I finish to select my .cfg file (let say toto.cfg) the GUI close and start to examine the config file (I know if they are some mistake in it it will tell me and wont crash) at some point I get this error.  So I dunno if it due to some bug in with the Cal3d plugin under CS 0.98, or if it the Blender to Cal3d exporter that generate some invalid file.
acraig

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 08:23:48 pm »

Hmm, I can try this out myself in a little bit. I have a few cal3d models so will see what happens with them.  In the mean time can you try running in gdb ( assuming you built in debug mode ) and see if you can get a stack trace?  This will help narrow down the problem.
intruder_xo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 03:28:26 am »

Hello Craig,

Which version of CS are you using? (we are still using the 0.98 stable release as we didnt want to base our code on a moving base for now) Also which Blender2Cal3d version are you using? (they are several of them floating around, they are one included in Blender 2.36, they are another one included in the Cal3d package and another one from the original author Jabi, this is one we are using release 0.11).

I can try to debug with awfull crap WC ohhh i mean VC wink (I still havent move my stuff to my good Linux side 8-( ).  Hopefully soon I will (didnt have time).

Also if you want to try I try with the Cal3d models available here on the community site file section.

This is to get Testcube file to try with viewmesh
http://community.crystalspace3d.org/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=3

Where I got the Blender2Cal3d Python scripts
http://download.gna.org/oomadness/

Thanks for your help again.

Sincerly
Fred
Odd Grey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 04:52:58 am »

Hey everyone,

I am having an issue with viewmesh as well.  I am running the 0.98r004 ver compiled with MSVC++ 6 on WinXP SP2.  

I've followed the 'blend to cal3d' tutorial but receive a crash when attempting to load the boxman model.  The error points back to mod libcal3d-csvc6.dll.  I'm not sure what to do at this point.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
intruder_xo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 05:53:14 pm »

Hello Odd,

Welcome aboard in the same boat as me with CS 0.98r004 wink.

I also try different other models (first our own, then thought maybe we didnt model it properly to be use with Cal3d format, then try the Testcube from the other Cal3d tutorial here about IK anim.) and they all failed with an allocation problems.  I try to find answer and didnt find any, just several people suggest me to try with the latest CVS of CS and also Cal3d.

Well this is what I did 2 days ago, and now I am able to use viewmesh and load up a Cal3d models without crashing.  But I have another issue now, the models is invisible wink, so ill try to recompile Cal3d (libs) from scractch instead of using the cswinlibs stuff just in case.

Btw could you send me your boxman models (I am not too familiar with Blender yet and dont have too much time at the moment 8-( ) so I can try it with my current setup and see if it work or not?  So I can then let you know if that will solve both our problems.

You can email the files (all the Cal3d one) to : intruder at videotron.ca

Thanks
Sincerly
Fred
Odd Grey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 04:40:55 am »

Quote from: intruder_xo
Welcome aboard in the same boat as me with CS 0.98r004 wink.

Thanks! wink

I've also tried a hand full of different models as well.  No luck.

Well this is what I did 2 days ago, and now I am able to use viewmesh and load up a Cal3d models without crashing.

Where is the rest?  What did you do!?  lol

I sent my 'boxman' model to you from my hotmail account with the subject "'Boxman' model".

Let me know what you find and what you had found out previously.
intruder_xo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 08:14:30 pm »

Hello Odd,

Well should I start with the good news or the bad news?

Ok let start with the good news, the model you sent me WORK! Yes I was able to export it flawlessly with the Blender2Cal3d Python plugin (I am using one of the more recent version 0.11).  

Now for the bad news, well like it happen with the other models I tried with the latest CVS I can load them up with viewmesh but they just dont show up.  Same goes for yours, it load without any problems (doesnt crash), but the mesh is nowhere to be found on the scene.

As for another maybe good news, the guys that wrote the tutorial told me to recompile the Cal3d library as this could be a source of problem when using the cswinlibs package.  Ill do that later on today and keep you posted!

Ok so what I did is that I download the latest CS CVS snapshot dating from 2005-04-01 and also the prebuilt cswinlibs.  Now I will recompile the Cal3d just to make sure.

Here is the link where I got those files :

http://w-tech.co.uk/crystal/

Thanks again for your collaboration.

Again in there I am sure we will able to resolve it soon.

Sincerly
Fred
Odd Grey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 12:22:05 am »

Have you tried flipping the normals on the model?  I didn't even think of that until now, well, probably because my viewmesh doesn't even work as well as yours.  

However, during the exporting process, it is possible the model was turned inside out.  So if you flip the normals and export it, perhaps it will show up normally.  If you don't know how to flip them, lemme know and I can send you a modified 'boxman'.

I tried compiling the CVS a few days ago, however I ran into a slew of compiling errors.  I'll try the current snapshot and see if I have any luck.

Let me know what you find!  Cheesy
intruder_xo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 12:53:54 am »

Hello Odd,

Trying to flip the normals? I am not too sure what about that wink, like I mention I am not too familiar with Blender (and no expert of 3d stuff either).

You are still using cs 0.98r004 right? Well I have a good news on that side, I was able to sucessfully display cally (the model included in Cal3d).  Just download cal3d from the site I mention earlier and they will be a folder call data and in it you will see a folder cally.  Copy the cally folder into your CS installation (CS/cally).  Then create a test.cal3d file with the content that you will find at http://crystal.sourceforge.net/docs/online/manual-cvs/cs_7.7.6.php#SEC7.7.6

Then startup viewmesh like this : viewmesh /this/test.cal3d
You should be able to get the little green man wink and can even set some action and see it move.

I did that with the current CS from CVS but it doesnt show up! Just blank, but I can choose the animation and see the screen move/bounce around.  I start to feel that maybe that the camera is stuck inside the object (first person view).

Anyway you can try to send me again "boxman" with the flips normal and see what it does.

Thanks.

Ill continue to keep you posted wink
Odd Grey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 03:28:43 am »

I think I have a different issue than yours, since I receive a windows error no matter what model I attempt to load (I tried cally before and several other models of mine).

I'll e-mail you the model with the flipped normals.
intruder_xo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2005, 03:34:18 pm »

Hello Odd,

Ok here is a few update and some good one!

Yesterday I switch to my Linux environment and grab the latest and greatest CS and Cal3d from CVS.  Recompile everything (took a while especially for CS) then fire up viewmesh with the cally models and behold... IT WORK!!! I didnt have time to try the other models but my guess is that they should be ok too now.  But the same thing under win32 seems to still be broken, I am currently discussing with res2k (the maintainer of the cswinlibs package) to see if the problems is some setup problems or a generalised problem.  You are doing development under win32 right?

Also did you try to get the cs 0.98r004 package from the site I gave you? I was able to get the cally model working with that setup. (you need to install the cswinlibs for cs 0.98r004 also).  But all other models crash viewmesh so I guess something in the way they are constructed isnt ok.

Fred out for now!
Adam
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 04:08:50 am »

Same problem!
During the loading of viewmesh (or any of the compiled binaries I've run):
Code:

crystalspace.csws:
  Created.
  Loading libs...
Assertion failed: blocks[i].firstfree == (csFreeList*)blocks[i].memory, file c:\cs\include\csutil\blockallocator.h, line 187

This is on Win32, MSVC7.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 04:49:33 am »

Possibly switching to CVS version of CS might help you. Lots of things have been fixed in Crystal Space and possibly this as well.

Greetings,
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: