Check out these screenshots for a new feature in CS:http://community.crystalspace3d.org/tiki-browse_image.php?galleryId=1&sort_mode=created_desc&desp=0&offset=0&imageId=347http://community.crystalspace3d.org/tiki-browse_image.php?galleryId=1&sort_mode=created_desc&desp=1&offset=0&imageId=346
A bit of information:
- Support for different kinds of geometries (any mesh factory)
- Support for static LOD (using simpler geometries in the distance)
- Constant density per type of geometry.
- Density scaling so that there are fewer objects in the distance.
- Fading of objects in the distances. Makes for smooth transitions.
- Random rotation of objects.
- Works on top of any kind of mesh (typically terrain, thing, genmesh, ...)
Planned in the future:
- Currently only constant density is supported. I also plan support for artist supplied density map.
- Support for density based on material (i.e. on 'grass.png' density for grass can be higher then on 'rock.png').
- Support for space placement so you can use this also for (for example) generating asteroids in space.
- New instancing mesh factory. Currently the biggest performance of this is the number of objects that are generated. I plan a new type of mesh factory that would make it easier to combine different smaller objects into one bigger object. This should speed up the framerate considerably.
I'm also looking for nice foliage models (genmesh). i.e. rocks, small bushes, trees, flowers, plants, mushrooms, ...