Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 02:20:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
9014 Posts in 2047 Topics by 8457 Members
Latest Member: Justinparks5
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  Using Crystalspace with Game Maker.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Using Crystalspace with Game Maker.  (Read 26075 times)
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2006, 07:20:59 am »

if the engine is made also for GM then I'm unable to use it.

and i was told on GMC that when you take a dll to be coded for GM you just add some coding so GM can tell the dll what to display.

It is not that easy I'm afraid. 'Just adding some coding' is a big job already. Both GM and CS are big projects and you need to do a mapping between them. It will not be impossible but not something done in less then a month I expect.

Greetings,
Linera

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2006, 07:27:29 am »

No one cares or even says that they'll start putting this in but maybe a few version before this support is ready.
No one cares to support other platforms other then whatever CS uses. By supporting other game design programs other then CS you guys get a bigger group of people using CS.
dingobloo
Idle Extrordinare.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2006, 07:39:14 am »

Is the dev-team ment to port the engine to every single random, rapid application development program that everyone asks for because you're too lazy to learn a valuable and widely used programming language(C++) I think you're the one who needs to wake up.

Admittedly you didn't get a straight answer to your question, but there is no straight answer to your question, Crystalspace does not run on a single DLL, it is highly modular and depends on alot of things, if you're looking for a way to port it you may be looking for a long time, and because noone here has experience with game maker, and you are unable to provide instructions about on how to expose C++ code to game maker despite a rather vague "you put some code at the top" then you are going to be able to find much help.

As for the lack of people capable of helping you, this is a community forum, and as such we have fewer people who are able to answer questions compared to the number of people asking them (this is not the primary source of Crystalspace information) Jorrit is very gratious to give up his time to attempt to help people, the other developers are often too busy working on either the project or follow other streams of CS information (mailing lists, IRC) to put their full attention to every question on this board.

I have half a mind to lock or delete this topic, instead it will be merged with your previous topic so that people can view the context before they judge the engine on this topic alone, if any  you,a moderator or any users think this is too harsh, please PM me.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 07:42:10 am by dingobloo » Logged
Linera

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2006, 07:50:56 am »

This link: http://forums.gamemaker.nl/index.php?showtopic=126717&view=findpost&p=1055626

Tells how to make a dll for Game Maker. That is the only info on it.
dingobloo
Idle Extrordinare.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2006, 09:28:09 am »

Also, in order to use game maker with DLLs you must have the registered version (which costs US$20), so having someone help you with this might be a bit ambitious. Also it only runs on windows, and this goes against the platform independant nature of Crystalspace, so it's unlikley support for game-maker will be nativley included in crystalspace.

That said, generation of the various function wrappers into their own GameMaker specific DLL's is a possibility but that would only enable you to use Crystalspace Functions in GM-script it would be more like using GM script as a scripting language and would not be so far different from actually using Crystalspace as you would with C++.
Linera

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2006, 06:00:53 pm »

Like I said most GM users know GM very well and don't have time, will power, and/or the drive to learn C++. being able to use a great 3D engine and not have the use the crappy engine like GMI or Xtreme 3D made by Xception, would be great and really improve the number of 3D games being made.
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2006, 06:14:45 am »

The reality of making computer games is that you have to learn how to program.  Sure, these things like Game Maker can make game creation a little easier, but you are doing something totally different then.  Writing games from code is a totally different beast, and thus has different aims than something like Game Maker, which seems to be similar to creating a Flash movie.  With CS you have something for programmers, or at least basic scripters with python and whatnot.    I don't think your post should reflect to others that CS is a bad product just because it doesn't work with something that IMHO, it really shouldn't as it's for a totally different user and skill set.  Aside from the devs and veteran CS users, many of the people (myself included) who post on this forum are not excellent c++ programmers, but we are learning and we think we have learned enough to takle learning a 3D dev kit like CS.  If you want to make real 3D games that give you supreme satisfaction, wonderful segfault frustrations and a sense of accomplishment, you are going to have to graduate to writing your games with a programming language.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 06:17:03 am by muffinpeddler » Logged
Linera

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2006, 06:50:01 am »

You can make just as good 3d games with Game Maker as you can with C++ as long as you have the right 3D engine dll
muffinpeddler

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2006, 06:46:30 am »

But what are you getting out of it?  Seriously, I think you should look into programming.  Maybe not with C++ first, but something maybe like python or visual basic or something along those lines.  Then you would understand what I mean when I tell you that it isn't always about making a game that works, but making it elegant and getting everything you can out of it, as you would only be able to do with writing it yourself.
Sean

Email
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2006, 06:02:16 pm »

Like I said most GM users know GM very well and don't have time, will power, and/or the drive to learn C++

So the GM users are unwilling to put any effort forth to help themselves, and you are instead expecting the CS developers to put forth effort for you with absolutely no incentive whatsoever?

Look, the real problem here is that CS is not some software you just plug into another application.  That isn't what it is for.  I really don't think you understand what CrystalSpace is at all, though.  You keep making references to "whatever program CS uses to make games."  There is no such program.

CS is a C++ library.  It is not a game creation toolkit.  It isn't even strictly a game engine.  It's a bunch of C++ APIs that programmers can use to *create* a complete engine.  A non-programmer cannot just sit down and make a game with Crystal Space.  Or with OGRE, or Irrlicht, or any other game/graphics engine out there.  These kinds of engines are entirely different beasts than a tool like Game Maker.  Game Maker is like a toolbox and Crystal Space is like the factory where you make the tools.

You cannot simply plug CS into Game Maker.  You will need to do some real programming work to plug CS, or *ANY* existing graphics engine, into Game Maker.  That whole "send commands" stuff was probably someone trying to put a very complex problem into itty-bitty words that a layperson could understand.  It's a lot like a surgeon telling you that they're going to "take out your tonsils" - the reality of what they have to do is a lot more difficult, and involves very risky and complex processes like anesthizing you, safely cutting out the tissue, stitching or cauterizing the wound.

Your only hope is to find another Game Maker user who is a competent and experienced C++ coder to glue a new engine to Game Maker.  No non-Game Maker user is going to want to waste months of their time to glue into some barely-known game creation toolkit, especially not when you go around insulting the developers and their work because you don't understand the reality of what you're asking for.

If nothing else, you owe jorrit an apology.  The fact that he even kept trying to answer your questions and help at all is testament to his fine character.  Most people would have told you to go away after your first post or two when it was clear you didn't know what you were talking about.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: