Crystal Space
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:06:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8990 Posts in 2037 Topics by 7617 Members
Latest Member: Wschodni1989
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Crystal Space
|-+  Crystal Space Development
| |-+  General Crystal Space Discussion
| | |-+  why so slow?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: why so slow?  (Read 3684 times)
Jonathan

Email
« on: January 24, 2006, 02:59:03 pm »

I am a bit worried about the performance my app is getting. My PC specs are Athlon 3200, Nvidia 6600GT, 1GB RAM. My game uses some medium sized meshes. The total size of my world file is 5.5MB, including all meshes. I am getting 40 frames/sec which is nowhere near where it should be. I have just installed the latest drivers for my video card and it made no difference. My game has 2 light sources. I am not using any fancy shading, just a bit of alpha and reflection. What can I do to fix this?
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 03:00:43 pm »

I am a bit worried about the performance my app is getting. My PC specs are Athlon 3200, Nvidia 6600GT, 1GB RAM. My game uses some medium sized meshes. The total size of my world file is 5.5MB, including all meshes. I am getting 40 frames/sec which is nowhere near where it should be. I have just installed the latest drivers for my video card and it made no difference. My game has 2 light sources. I am not using any fancy shading, just a bit of alpha and reflection. What can I do to fix this?

What version of CS are you using? What operating system? What drivers?

Greetings,
Jonathan

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 04:01:32 pm »

CS version: CVS from 06 Jan 2006, also tried Jan 22
Drivers: 81.98

Before I had these drivers CS was using Slow VBOs. After I updated them this message didn't appear anymore, but no change in frame rate.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 04:03:20 pm »

CS version: CVS from 06 Jan 2006, also tried Jan 22
Drivers: 81.98

Before I had these drivers CS was using Slow VBOs. After I updated them this message didn't appear anymore, but no change in frame rate.

Can you tell me a bit about your world? How many polygons are visible at the same time? How many objects do you have? Are there lots of materials and are the materials big in size? Do you use lightmapping?

Greetings,
Jonathan

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 07:30:58 pm »

How many polygons? All of them potentially. This is when the frame rate drops to 40, but it should be able to handle it... How many objects? 30? not many materials and not big in size. Isn't lightmapping done by default? If so then yes.

Could you please download the app at:

http://www.outofgear.com/jon/notrees/dilysi.zip

The file size is only ~2MB

textures / sounds / world file are in zip.
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 07:32:52 pm »

How many polygons? All of them potentially.

I need numbers.

This is when the frame rate drops to 40, but it should be able to handle it... How many objects? 30? not many materials and not big in size. Isn't lightmapping done by default? If so then yes.

Could you please download the app at:

http://www.outofgear.com/jon/notrees/dilysi.zip

The file size is only ~2MB

textures / sounds / world file are in zip.

I'll try it out in a moment.

Greetings,
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 07:41:36 pm »

I will run a profiler to see what is going on but I suspect the problem is lighting.

Greetings,
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 08:59:29 pm »

As I suspected the slowdown is caused by calculating the lighting on all spr3d objects (3D sprites). I will have a go at trying to optimize that but perhaps it would be better to use genmesh for them instead of spr3d. Genmesh is a lot more optimal if you have no animation (and it seems the spr3d's are not animating).

Greetings,
Jonathan

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 11:55:21 pm »

Well that has helped in some ways, the framerate is now up to about 100. The problem is that the app isn't doing any shading on the models anymore. So they look like this

http://www.outofgear.com/jon/notrees/dilysi2.jpg

I am using the <autonormals /> tag for each mesh, but it isn't helping
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 06:19:18 am »

Well that has helped in some ways, the framerate is now up to about 100. The problem is that the app isn't doing any shading on the models anymore. So they look like this

http://www.outofgear.com/jon/notrees/dilysi2.jpg

I am using the <autonormals /> tag for each mesh, but it isn't helping

Hmm... Strange. Could you give me the new world file with genmesh models? I can have a look then.

Greetings,
Jonathan

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 02:28:26 pm »

http://www.outofgear.com/jon/notrees/myworldgenmesh.zip
jorrit
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 08:20:23 am »

I will still look into this but at this moment we're preparing a new pseudo-stable release.

Greetings,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: